Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 09:19:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Directional rotors?  (Read 1140 times)
cencalal

« on: June 21, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »

I'm looking for a good used Brembo front rotor on ebay, and seeing lefts and rights, but checking part numbers shows left and right are the same.
In this case it's an 848 SBK 320mm that I need for a project.  Some rotors have a stamped direction arrow on the carrier, even though the two rotors of a pair are identical, symmetrical, and show no slanted or inclined features.  Is there anything to this? 

Thanks
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »

Some rotors are universal fitment.  Some are designed to only be left or right side.  If they are designed for directional, then you really can’t use them in the other direction.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
cencalal

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 07:56:23 PM »

Maybe i didn't make my question clear.  If the Brembo rotors spec'd for a Ducati 848 look identical, and the left and right have the same part number, why is there a directional arrow stamped on the carrier?  Does it matter?  I'm doing a single disc setup on the left, and there are some clean used rotors for sale that came off the right side.  Is it because once they've been used in one direction it's better to keep them in the same orientation?
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 10:04:26 PM »

These rotors are directional:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EB108-2013-DUCATI-848-SUPERBIKE-EVO-RH-RIGHT-FRONT-BRAKE-ROTOR-/292049678747

Some OEM stuff is, some is not.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 01:17:28 AM »

If the rotors have been ran a particular direction, then the rotor to button and button to carrier contact areas have been bedded in for that one direction due to the braking forces applied during its life.

I’m not sure if you could use it in the opposite direction and get good life out of it.  Perhaps yes as the contact areas haven’t been bedded in for the new direction of rotation.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: