Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 05:23:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Pirelli "Diablo" & "Diablo Rosso 2" "tyres" (EU spelling ;)-  (Read 4042 times)
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« on: June 11, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »

Purchased, and just got delivered a brand new plain ol "Diablo" front tire from an on-line retailer for $114 Canadian; thinking it was a Diablo Rosso 2. Somewhat excited to get new rubber for the front, kind-a like a present for the bike, put it beside the front tire when I received it; ta da!.

What's the difference between Pirelli "Diablo" & "Diablo Rosso 2's"?; asides the obvious difference in tread pattern and slight difference in cost ($13). So if I have a "Diablo" on the front & new last yr "Diablo Rosso 2" on the rear … both w rated; there must be a bit of difference in rubber compound and what rubbers applies where on centre and cornering sides?

Part 2 question; Comparing the old existing & new "Diablo" tires, there's still a fair bit of tread life in the 10 yr old one; 1/2 warn. And what's up with moto tire age? Where do you check the age again?.

Dolph

.... all the world is yours.
Buhgaboo

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »

Purchased, and just got delivered a brand new plain ol "Diablo" front tire from an on-line retailer for $114 Canadian; thinking it was a Diablo Rosso 2. Somewhat excited to get new rubber for the front, kind-a like a present for the bike, put it beside the front tire when I received it; ta da!.

What's the difference between Pirelli "Diablo" & "Diablo Rosso 2's"?; asides the obvious difference in tread pattern and slight difference in cost ($13). So if I have a "Diablo" on the front & new last yr "Diablo Rosso 2" on the rear … both w rated; there must be a bit of difference in rubber compound and what rubbers applies where on centre and cornering sides?

Part 2 question; Comparing the old existing & new "Diablo" tires, there's still a fair bit of tread life in the 10 yr old one; 1/2 warn. And what's up with moto tire age? Where do you check the age again?.

Dolph
Omg that's an old tire...or a new flat track tire... the date code will be 4 digits first 2 will be the week last 2 the year...that said the rubber has to feel like a stick of lumber...get a new set all around and see if the museum's in your area are interested in the ones you got now...lol
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 03:09:32 PM »

Omg that's an old tire...or a new flat track tire... the date code will be 4 digits first 2 will be the week last 2 the year...that said the rubber has to feel like a stick of lumber...get a new set all around and see if the museum's in your area are interested in the ones you got now...lol

to repeat rears newish.

… I hear ya; I did a thumbnail check on the tire before I bought, the rubber is still rubbery, but not as elastic as the new one. Just outa curiosity and not to be cheeky at all; cause it sometimes depends on the optics; are you a GP racer, do you own a shop or have business interests in sell Pirelli moto tires?

.... all the world is yours.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 06:06:32 PM »

There does not exist a tire that I'd prefer at 10 years old over a new plain Diablo.

Plain Diablo or Diablo Supersport are a good inexpensive tire, they've been around forever.

But without a picture we can't know which ones you've got.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 09:44:28 PM »

The Diablo is a single compound tire, the Diablo II is dual compound, harder in the middle, soft on the sides.  The object is to avoid squaring off and increase life.  Both are good tires.

What Buhgaboo is telling you is check the manufacture date.  Pirelli is up to Diablo III and often the bargain price catalogues are selling old tires. 
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=CI6GmK3H--kCFae2swodtbwCSA&techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!10!78202820616689!30523985119&ef_id=XuMUYAAAAGZAvjIW:20200612053632:s
Yes this is a car tire, but the coding is the same.

There is some dispute over how old a tire can be before it is not safe.  Opinions vary from 5 to 10 years.  I'm a conservative 5 year guy myself.
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 05:17:01 AM »

Two years ago I replaced the worn Diablo II rear on my Monster with a Diablo III... there was a marked difference between the two tires, particularly when they are cold.  But, as Speeddog says, a new anything tire is better than that washout special you are running now.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 05:56:39 AM »

Date code.  It’ll be something like 3918 which would be the 39th week of 2018.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 07:56:15 AM »

Two years ago I replaced the worn Diablo II rear on my Monster with a Diablo III... there was a marked difference between the two tires, particularly when they are cold.  But, as Speeddog says, a new anything tire is better than that washout special you are running now.

Will need a new rear this summer. What are the differences you noted between the II & III?

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Buhgaboo

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »

Will need a new rear this summer. What are the differences you noted between the II & III?
The biggest difference between ii and III is that they are both inferior to the power RS...I wish I got commission...you can full send the Diablo Rosso's into a corner and even riding beyond the tires limit your still slower than the RS...and if your at that pace...it will take 3 sets of tires for 1 of the Michelin...the thing is built in Hogwarts...it's impressive...you have got to try it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »

As I said before the Diablo is single compound and the Rosso II is dual compound.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 08:29:31 PM »

As I said before the Diablo is single compound and the Rosso II is dual compound.

@Charlie98 and I both ride 796's. Interested in the difference between II & III. Possibly profile or compound or something else. Have a D-spec III on the front currently which is newish.  Wink (Worn Rosso II on the rear currently.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 08:31:34 PM by Curmudgeon » Logged

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 09:29:27 PM »

Oops!  II and III.  Supposedly the III has a better footprint.  Usually, but not always, the next generation is better.  Unless $ are a big deal I would go for the III
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 05:19:32 AM »

I had problems with the II on warm up, it would step out on corners, and particularly over pavement markings and such... the III does not have this problem.  Comparing apples to apples, even when the II was new it did this; I embarked on a mad tire pressure search, thinking it was related to pressure.  I'm not going to say the III is track sticky, but it is an excellent sport tire, particularly compared to the II.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

Curmudgeon

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 06:02:21 AM »

I had problems with the II on warm up, it would step out on corners, and particularly over pavement markings and such... the III does not have this problem.  Comparing apples to apples, even when the II was new it did this; I embarked on a mad tire pressure search, thinking it was related to pressure.  I'm not going to say the III is track sticky, but it is an excellent sport tire, particularly compared to the II.

Thanks! Good feedback.  waytogo

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 06:29:10 AM »

Truthfully, however, I only get roughly 2500mi/4000kM out of my rears... I really, really like to twist the throttle.  I don't consider that a problem... these days it takes me 2-3 years to do that, which is my cutoff for new treads, anyway, regardless of miles.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: