Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 07:24:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airbox + Exhaust Options for '05 S2R800 with Arrow  (Read 3411 times)
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« on: June 07, 2020, 10:35:41 AM »

Bought the bike used but it had a serious fueling dip at 3k RPM, Bought a PC3 & Opened Airbox but it's too loud & my hearing has already been damaged, earplugs arent an option (dont ask), not that concerned about additional HP just want stable fueling, Bike's getting Dyno'd in 2 weeks

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »

Arrow are famous for the noise level, so I'd say make them less noisy. Air boxes aren't very noisy, or do you feel different?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »

Agreed it's the Arrows the open air box is only noisy  when you really get on it .... and it's a different type of sound 
Pinion

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 01:12:48 AM »

Yup  waytogo

Will trade toilet paper for parts
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »

Do you not have DB killers in?  Mine are pretty obnoxious with them out... I have to wear earplugs.  I modded my DBK's for better performance without being overly loud.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »

Do you not have DB killers in?  Mine are pretty obnoxious with them out... I have to wear earplugs.  I modded my DBK's for better performance without being overly loud.

waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »

Some folks like the sound of the opened airbox top.
It likely would let the engine run harder.

It's not a sound that's pleasant to my ear, so I don't go for it.
And I'm currently not in need of my bike going harder.

The dB killers seem to be remarkably effective and not hurt power badly.

Whatever parts combination you use, keep it the same later as it's now part of the dyno-tune you just paid for.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 04:27:50 AM »

Some folks like the sound of the opened airbox top.
It likely would let the engine run harder.

It's not a sound that's pleasant to my ear, so I don't go for it.

I've often wondered that... and that is probably a question for it's own thread.  Looking at the air intake for my 796 Monster, it's pretty open and direct, without pressurizing the airbox (it is not a ram-air configuration.)  I find it unlikely that turning the airbox into Swiss cheese would improve throttle response, although it might improve the top end RPM performance a tad. I would think switching the air filter to a less restrictive element would have more to do with throttle response and power, based on what happened when I put slip-ons on. I don't think the sound of the intake is anything to write home about, and that may be exclusive to the ~800 vs ~1100-1200 engine; in fact, it's pretty anemic.  I'd much rather hear the magical sound of exhaust...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 04:31:23 AM »

FYI... what I did with my Arrows...

Modified DBK's...

...and the unmodded ones.

I tried working with the stock length, but it made very little difference.  In the end, whacking but the last 2" or so made the biggest difference.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 04:44:58 AM »

http://bikeboy.org/s2rmonsterarrow.html

Air box, exhaust, cam timing and tuning mods.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 05:45:52 AM »

Thanks Koko that's great info.

Gents,
On a different thread I was reading that the CF Arrow cans dont take dB Killers due to it causing them to overheat and a guy had correspondence from Arrow saying as much, yet another guy on the same thread said Arrow directed him to a reseller for dB Killers and he had fitted them without issue so I'm a bit baffled (no pun intended). thread link below

https://www.ducatimonster.org/threads/adding-db-killers-to-s2r-1000-arrow-exhaust.316802/

Would dB Killers make a substantial difference in the dyno? I'm scheduled for next week and I'm not sure I can get dB killers ahead of that, can I add them after with minimal impact? Would hate to reschedule as that would be another 3 weeks out. I'm assuming the answer is yes  Undecided but thought I'd ask.

Thanks for all the great input.

2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 06:14:12 AM »

FYI... what I did with my Arrows...

Modified DBK's...

...and the unmodded ones.

I tried working with the stock length, but it made very little difference.  In the end, whacking but the last 2" or so made the biggest difference.

I have modified Staintune intermediate db killers in my 750 and billet "race" db killers from Desmoworld Germany in my 1100Evo Termis. My PCV was dyno tuned for the dbk's. You should get away with it but it's best to tune it specifically for the mods you want to stay with in order to get the best all round performance for your money. That's how I read Speeddogs suggestion and I agree. Dbk's may cause some flat spots and the dyno tune can mitigate that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:46:24 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 06:26:10 AM »

[drink]In my experience, db killers will enrich the mixture, and cause a loss in power. This is for track tuned bikes that run at tracks with, and without, noise limits.

It doesn't make the bike unrideable, but for a street bike, I'd configure the bike the way you want to run it.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 06:40:43 AM »

With my bike, which was completely stock when I got it...

Stock cans gave serious problems... the dreaded cough and die, mostly at stops, but sometimes while riding at low RPM.  Very hard starting.

I was initially not impressed with the stock config Arrow slips, I was actually quite disappointed... the sound was not what I was looking for, and I didn't think performance increased all that much.  It did improve the cough and die issues about 90%, and it did improve low RPM driveability.  It also made it a one-push start, instead of cranking, cranking, cranking to get it to catch with stock exhaust.  I really, really think the stock exhaust is too restrictive, although I understand the fool's game they have to play with noise and exhaust emissions.

DBK's out... besides the ear-shattering noise at lower speeds, it was everything I could ask for out of a 800cc bike.

Modded DBK's... about the happiest medium I could get.  I don't HAVE to have earplugs, and with excellent driveability.  If I was to have the bike dyno'ed and tuned, this would be the configuration because it's the one I use 90% of the time.  Understand, too, that all these exhaust mods are without any sort of tuning... I'm still running a stock ECU, although that may change.  I have not noted any significant problems with the stock ECU and the modded exhaust, although I was told I would.  Granted, I have not pulled the plugs lately to see what they might tell me, and certainly a remapped ECU would maximize the tune.

OP, it's possible that the exhaust overheating problems might be with stock DBK's, which wouldn't surprise me.  Modding the DBK's might be a reasonable answer.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 03:05:54 PM »

Called an Arrow Distributor in NC (SuperBike Unlimited) and spoke to a gentlemen there who said the excessive heat with the dB Killers in would certainly stress the carbon fiber cans and to do this at my own risk knowing that. He stopped short of saying it would damage them. I didnt mention modding the dB Killers not sure that he has any insight into that setup. Hoping someone chimes in that has added dB Killers to their Race Arrow Exhaust with the Carbon Fiber cans. Sounds like so far the folks that have provided input on this have done it with the Titanium Cans. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Would love to turn the volume down without melting my exhaust.

2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: