Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 12:24:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire Question  (Read 2902 times)
Norcoastal

« on: June 02, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »

Hey everyone, I’ve been restoring a 2000 750 for the past few months and I’m down to the wire harness.

When is disassembled the bike, I labeled everything on the harness. There were two wires that weren’t attached to anything therefore I had nothing to label them with.

One looks like a ground wire, it’s thick like a battery cable with a loop end on it. The other is a two pronged connector.

I put a probe on the thick wire and to my surprise, it’s a constant hot when the key is on. The two prong connector has one hot side when the key is on. Because it’s a thick wire so I have to assume that it carries a heavy load like a starter, but the starter solenoid has the two wires on it that are supposed to be there. One from the engine and the other to the positive on the battery.

Can anyone take a look at the below pictures and let me know if you know where they attach?

lowrider wallpaper
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »

Where do they come from?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »

Difficult to judge scale from that pic, can you do another with a common item for scale?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
greenmonster

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:00:35 AM »

Do you have a battery ground to engine cable?
If not, the thick one cold be it.

The other do look like solenoid cable.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 04:14:18 AM »

IZ_ picture, but I’ll take a stab:

Small rectangular connector is to the starter solenoid.  This connector provides the low amperage power and ground to pull in the solenoid contact.

Large wire which goes hot when connected to the battery is the battery side of the solenoid.  So, basically, you have to get under the battery box and mess with possibly the worst positioned oem solenoid ever.

Just a guess about the large wire.  The small white-ish rectangular one I’m sure about.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Pinion

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 12:17:38 PM »

Small rectangular connector is to the starter solenoid.  This connector provides the low amperage power and ground to pull in the solenoid contact.

Large wire which goes hot when connected to the battery is the battery side of the solenoid.  So, basically, you have to get under the battery box and mess with possibly the worst positioned oem solenoid ever.

Just a guess about the large wire.  The small white-ish rectangular one I’m sure about.

I think your spot on

Will trade toilet paper for parts
Norcoastal

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 04:11:20 PM »

I think the solenoid plug makes sense by everything I’m looking at, but I don’t remember seeing a plug on the solenoid to plug it into.

I’ll remove it this weekend and take a closer look. I agree that the black wire looks like a ground, but when I tested it, it has 12v coming out of it. I guess a ground has juice also as it completes the circuit.

Thanks everyone, wiring isn’t my strength, but I’m learning. I know just enough to get myself in trouble. The Power Probe has been helpful too.

I also just bought a Haynes Manual, that should help me also.

Thanks again!!!
Norcoastal

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »

The solenoid already has two wires connected to it. One goes to the starter, and the other goes to a pigtail where the red positive wire is attached to the battery.

Doesn’t make sense that the large wire is a positive to the battery. But I have no idea what I’m taking about so don’t take whatever I say like I know what is right.
Norcoastal

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 04:22:37 PM »

Here’s a picture to show scale. Also a picture that shows the positive connected to the junction that has a thick wire going to the solenoid.

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 07:07:52 PM »

If the other end of ghat large black wire plugs into the black plastic splitter on the positive cable the it is FOR SURE the hot (always hot) lead from the battery to the solenoid.

Also, if you have questions of this nature, is there anyone local to you who knows this sort of stuff who can lend a hand?!?  This is, after all, the internet.

Norcoastal

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 09:29:41 AM »

Thanks and you’re right, this is only the internet, but you be surprised how much info I learn on these forums!
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »

Thanks and you’re right, this is only the internet, but you be surprised how much info I learn on these forums!

Agreed, but check things thoroughly before making final connections.  I’m not going to come over and fix the bike, or be held liable.  Let me know if I can help further.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 01:23:59 PM »

This is a pic of a '98 M750 harness.

The harness ground connection that is bolted underneath the battery is shown in the pic, and is twist-tied to the ground wire that goes from battery negative to the same bolt location.

You can see the white 2-pin plug inserted into the starter solenoid.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »

just a quick note to say I don't recognize any of the wiring, but if you are reading +12 VDC on that large black wire with the ring-tongue terminal do NOT connect to ground
Norcoastal

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 03:24:59 PM »

This is a pic of a '98 M750 harness.

The harness ground connection that is bolted underneath the battery is shown in the pic, and is twist-tied to the ground wire that goes from battery negative to the same bolt location.

You can see the white 2-pin plug inserted into the starter solenoid.

That sure looks like my plug. I’m going to take the air box off over the weekend and check the solenoid.

Thanks for the picture.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: