Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter Beaver kits on a 2002 Monster S4 and improving Headlight performance; hi/  (Read 2328 times)
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« on: May 03, 2020, 09:28:31 AM »

2002 Monster S4 and due to bad performance from the stock head light and the stock horn Easter Beaver company electrical kits are to be installed. Questions are at the end on page 7. They concern the use of the Lo-cut posi-lock adapter & a posi-lock for the H4 kit. Below is the stock H4 head light connection and the pilot light and wiring harness.

The following parts are from Easter Beaver Company

Powerlink Battery lead
Powerlink splitter
High power horn kit
3 Circuit Solution SEALED One Fuse Unswitched 40 cm/switching lead Posi-Tap Choice.
H4 Single Weatherproof Relay Kit (picture #1) & LO Cut Adapter Option for H4 Single Weatherproof relay kit (mine has the battery Powerlink and 2 posi-lock connectors; not sure which is lo-cut adaptor and what the other does)
QUESTIONS:

Page 5 (picture #3) right picture shows the H4 Single weatherproof relay kit connector and the 3 Circuit solution kit; the H4 connector goes with ONE OF THE TWO switched connectors. The Posi-lock connector from the H4 SWP relay kit I do not understand its purpose or where to connect it too; must be the head light handle bar switch.
Page 6(picture #5), the Pilot light connector to the LO-Cut adapter posi-lock option, unsure if this is how it goes.

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 07:44:21 AM »

#1 You need to push the harness kit from INSIDE of the bucket, because the relays are meant to be inside of the bucket (and the hole on the back of the bucket is not big enough for the relays to go through.)

#2 You don't use H4 connector. Jim includes it because some people are not willing to cut the stock wiring.

#3 Cut off the stock H4 socket on the stock harness.

#4 Using two posi-tap connectors, directly connect harness kit wires to stock wires.
 low beam wire to yellow wire of the kit, high beam wire to white wire of the kit.
Kit’s yellow wire is connected to bike’s  white wire (‘cause that’s the color of OEM wiring for low beam),
 white wire is connected to yellow / black wire (OEM wiring color for high beam).
Don’t get confuse by the color of the wire. And you don’t need wiring diagram of the bike to figure out which wire is for low beam and which wire is for high beam.

Look at the socket from the back side. (NOT the side you plug the bulb in)
Top one is for low beam, right one is for high beam, left is ground (and the ground wire is normally black, so you can easily tell )

#5  Put back lamp unit on the bucket. Monster’s bucket isn’t that deep, but you should be able to fit everything in there.
(try to position relays so that when you put the lamp unit on the bucket and close it, the relays get pushed against the bucket(but not too hard), so they won’t rattle around.
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 10:04:59 PM »

#1 and #5 follow.

Need to digest the middle #, looks like I have the concept very wrong or are misreading.

Will post what I am understanding to do.

THanks
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »

#1 You need to push the harness kit from INSIDE of the bucket, because the relays are meant to be inside of the bucket (and the hole on the back of the bucket is not big enough for the relays to go through.)

I preffer the realys out of the  bucket b/c they are weather proof and get less hot.

#2 You don't use H4 connector. Jim includes it because some people are not willing to cut the stock wiring.
#3 Cut off the stock H4 socket on the stock harness.

Using the H4 connector in this case means I get less volatage drop by using the wired connectors (see drawing below, connection #2)
I do see how I can just tap back into the original harness but feels like that defeats the purpose of getting the 3 Circuit solution harness.

#4 Using two posi-tap connectors, directly connect harness kit wires to stock wires.
 low beam wire to yellow wire of the kit, high beam wire to white wire of the kit.
Kit’s yellow wire is connected to bike’s  white wire (‘cause that’s the color of OEM wiring for low beam),
 white wire is connected to yellow / black wire (OEM wiring color for high beam).
Don’t get confuse by the color of the wire. And you don’t need wiring diagram of the bike to figure out which wire is for low beam and which wire is for high beam.

Look at the socket from the back side. (NOT the side you plug the bulb in)
Top one is for low beam, right one is for high beam, left is ground (and the ground wire is normally black, so you can easily tell )

Here I used your info for understanding that the White is the low beam and YELLOW/BLACK is the hi beam switch lines EOM. See Connection #3 in the diagram below(. (WITHOUT tapping into original harness)

I was trying to figure out how to put the EOM left handle HEADLIGHT switch to work, I thought I could use connection #3.

#5  Put back lamp unit on the bucket. Monster’s bucket isn’t that deep, but you should be able to fit everything in there.
(try to position relays so that when you put the lamp unit on the bucket and close it, the relays get pushed against the bucket(but not too hard), so they won’t rattle around.

Things fit nice.

At this point, I have come to realize I probably have the wrong harness for my application.
I have the battery and fuses out.
I am certain that my headlights would work and may switch from hi to low and such but I have no connection for the PILOT LIGHT, connection #4.   Tongue

OR , am I still wrong??

Think what you were suggesting was  connection #2 to tap it to original harness H4 Harness and use H4 original harness while original H4 Harness is connected to main harness EO plug. (see H4 harness OE pic below)
If I were to do that, what do I do with connections #3 and #4??  I am not understanding their puspose.

Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 03:53:02 AM »

Think I figured it out and will post easy instructions and Crayong diagram Wink . He has instruction (EASTER BEAVER) but they not dummy proof as I am proof LOL.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 12:56:29 PM »

Sorry for slow reply.
(I am working everyday, really don't have free time to do anything outside of work.
Today is my first day off in the last 10days or so. And I found my old photos.
I just finished uploading these old photos , so I can also start fixing my old thread.)

But anyway, I think you over complicated this installation.

Here's my harness.

DSC00636

(looks slightly different from yours, because mine is to be connected to external fuse box.)

Red and black wire goes to fuse box. In your case,they have ring terminals and fuse holder.

DSC00645

Pull the stock harness out, until the vinyl sheath comes out from the grommet, like this.

DSC00646
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:58:01 PM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »

Looking from inside of the bucket.

DSC00647

Now, push the eastern beaver harness into the grommet.

DSC00648

DSC00649

Like this.

DSC00650

Now, you said you want to keep the relays outside of the bucket, that's fine. You can skip the process above that case.
But, look at the photo above.
You can see stock H4 female socket near the grommet. (That's a part of bike's wiring harness.)
You can see H4 male plug at the top of the photo, which is part of the eastern beaver harness, which, your harness doesn't have. INSTEAD, you already have two blue posi-lock connectors on each wire (one yellow, one white), ready to be connected to the stock wiring.

In order to do that, you will need to cut the stock harness's H4 female socket off.

It would look like this.
DSC00653

EB kit's yellow to bike's white (that's for low beam)
EB kit's white to bike's yellow/black (that's for high beam)

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »

The last photo in your first post shows you are holding three wires (Black / Yellow / White ), with terminal on the end of each one, in one sheath.
You put them into the female H4 socket.

socket_wiring_diagram

(This is where my first answer was a bit confusing, and I'm sorry about that. As I said, I've been working in crazy schedule since pandemic started. Today's probably the first day that I can sit down and spend some time in front of my computer.
Oh, and I dropped (well, my NA6 dropped) one of the catalytic converter bolts a few days ago, so I had to crawl under the car to fix it this morning. )

Anyhow, it seems you already figured out how to hook up things.

Now, later on today (if I still have energy left), I will (partially) restore the head light thread with those newly uploaded
photos.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69572.0

Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 02:58:58 PM »

THanks , YEP, I did as you did Connection #2 and #4 are done as you did.

BUTTT  bang head

it seems I have and extra set of wires, maybe I am drunk and seeing double. Vino!
At the relay,  a Yellow wire comes out of the relay and another yellow wire in same sheath goes to the Headlight bucket.

At the opposite end, the two yellow wires mentioned above go to their posi-locks. BUT they are Yellow and Yello/Black.

This is what I call connection #3, where do I connect them? Since they both yellow, do I connect them to the MOTOS harnes at a low(white) or Yellow wire??  FYI, they have about 2.5 feet in lenght.

Yellow/Black for Moto harness is (Hi)
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »

Connection number #3 changed to below

Which is what I interpreate Eastern Beaver and S21Folgore to tell me
With switch ON but bike not started, my dash illuminates as does normally PLUS the HI beam on the dash stays on.

and when switch is turned ON, and the hi/low switch flickered as well as the PASS-LIGHT switch, but I do not see the beam change from hi to lo. I cant tell if I have the new Lo light or I have the Hi beam on; it is much brighter Smiley

popcorn

Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 02:33:51 AM »

1) I did not know what Lo-cut meant when it was ordered  chug
2) When I asked, it was not clear what I was asking  popcorn

I could hook up a switch to #3 and go STEALTH MODE by having my light be off in case I am doing NINJA errands.
In the mean time I jumped the two ends and the Lights work GREAT!!! waytogo

HOWEVER LOL

my integrated tail light now does not light up; parking light is not ON
Left, right and brakes all work as they should  bang head
so I could not ride to work this morning, too dangerous being invisible.

Thanks for the help guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: