Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 11:15:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermarket Wheels Question  (Read 4134 times)
silas

2V

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 06:57:41 PM »

Lighter wheels seemed to make the biggest difference in handling. And then a lithium battery.
I've got a 6" back wheel on my '98 M900. They are forged aluminum Hi-Points.
Some 180 tires are wider than others- the Pilot GP 180 I have now is about 3/8" narrower overall than the 180 Pirelli Rosso Corso I previously had, the Pilot GP 180 is narrower and clears the chain a good bit more, it seems.

Ride fast, ride safe
'98 M900, '92 Yamaha TDM850
diamonddog-2

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 07:00:43 AM »

A new lithium battery is definitely on the to-do list.  I also found a used set of rearsets from Pinion [thank you for the install information!] and am working on them, hoping they shave a bit of weight off as well as improving my knee position. I got a garage heater to extend the season for my feeble wrenching skills before I put the duc away for the season. Between fitting the new wheels, new tires, rearsets and 2 other bits, not many miles on it this season but it should be ready to roll next spring. The bike came with a Barnett clutch and partial C.F. cover. I'm not sure if that saves any weight/rotational mass over OEM.

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
Frank C

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 08:36:21 AM »

The original 3 spoke wheels on the older monsters are very soft.  Bent a few of them on Boston roads.  The newer 5 spoke versions or a machined forged after market set is definitely a step up in strength.  I just thought of the reduced rotating mass as an added bonus.

As for your clutch, check and see if the basket is steel or aluminum.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »

By Barnett clutch, that could mean plates and/or basket. Barnett plate kits are very light kits and the baskets are lighter than steel oem baskets and similar in weight to oem alloy baskets. Light weight hubs, Ti bolts, Ti springs and alloy spring keepers are also available from various companies. A past weight loss crusade resulted in shedding over four pounds from theo clutch of an older M900. The flywheel had 2 pounds shaved off it, literally, which is a subject in itself.

Lithium batteries are a low cost weight reduction, but buy a high quality item like a Shorai to avoid problems.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:07:46 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: