Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 09:31:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from St. Pete, Florida  (Read 1806 times)
michael_chicago

« on: May 03, 2020, 07:01:07 AM »

Good morning folks,

I'm usually more of a lurker, but once in awhile I post something when I have something to add or am seeking answers (and I always try to follow-up, cause' I hate following a thread only to discover the OP doesn't close it out with a solution!)  Anyway,  I came across an interesting thread on upgrading cartridges in older SS monsters and I'm keen to get involved in that discussion.

Mike
St. Pete, FL
93 900SS track, 06' GSXR600 track, 97' YZF750 track, 02' Aprilia Mille R, Husqvarna TE250 (Italian-built)
Riding 30 years.

Here's a pretty neat story, imho.  I majored in Italian and spent a year or so in Florence for my studies.  My first bike was a 79' Vespa P200E (the only "motorcycle" my parents would let me get since my Dad had had one (an Allstate Vespa) when we was a teenager.  I had framed magazine photos of the 851 and 750 Sport in my room in High School; I was definitely a Ducati fanatic.

So, my Dad came to visit me in Italy (this is back in probably 92').  I was keen to go see the Ducati factory in Bologna.  Mind you, there was no Ducati Museum back then.  I found the phone number in the back of a motorcycle magazine, phoned them up and explained that I was a big fan and my Dad and I wanted to come see the factory.  Pause.....  "Sure!," come on up.

We took the train up and were met by a senior executive who gave us a personal tour.  We saw Monsters in production before they were available for sale!  Here is a picture of me (oh boy, how young!) in front of a 888 SPO.  When we left, the gentleman gave me a pair of dealer posters of Doug Polen and Giancarlo Falappa racing the 851.  I still have the Falappa; alas, I've no idea what happened to the Polen poster.

I bought a new 1996 900SSCR after I got out of college, and have spent a lot on parts over the years (rocker arms are $250/each now for 2V 900?Huh?).  So, it was a good investment on their part.

888SPO in Bologna by Michael Reed, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:05:23 AM by michael_chicago » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »

Welcome!

Great story and a great stable of bikes. I raced a YZF750 and still miss my '92 Superlight. Great bikes for sure.

Cheers. chug
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 12:47:12 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
michael_chicago

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »

Thanks.  Nice to receive a welcome.

That YZF750 is still pretty damn fast.  I feel like sportbikes reached a level in the 90s that exceed most peoples' capabilities.  I raced that bike at Roebling with AHRMA in 2018 and managed a 1:22  I have a friend who is a fast WERA expert and he's done a 1:15 there on a YZF750 with only a Fox shock and some stiffer fork springs.  Well, it had a jet kit and pipe too, but that is pretty damn fast.

900SL has always been on my wish list.  Those Marvic wheels!  Too bad they didn't make any performance mods.  Still, a lovely bike.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »

My YZF definitely exceeded my ability laughingdp

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: