Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 08:50:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I missed the party: Post the best sources of parts for older frame bikes in 2020  (Read 2196 times)
l88m22vette

« on: April 16, 2020, 06:31:06 AM »

As a car guy I know that the aftermarket can boom-and-bust based on how popular a car is and how much of a following it develops. I picked up my bike last year and I've spent a lot of time since then researching not only Monsters but getting to know the Ducati world. Thank god for this forum and other ones, it's amazing how much information is out there even though you have to do a lot of digging.

Speaking of digging, that brings me to the point of my thread. Basically, I'm looking for any bonus advice for where to find parts for pre-2002 Monsters. During research its become obvious that there are four billion parts for the ST-frame Monsters but it's hard to find stuff for the early ones. I found threads even from a couple of years ago that recommend a company or a specific part or something, when I try to look them up they don't have anything available aside from new fork seals or stuff that is shared with other 2Vs (assuming they have anything).

I've been able to score some good stuff like my pillion cover from Pinion and built Showas from Ddan, a fender off Yahoo.jp auctions, etc. I know about Bellismoto, Ducati Up North, Brad Black (holy crap that guy is a beast), and have some other stuff bookmarked. I guess it just surprises me there's not more support for the earlier Monsters, if only because they sold over 400k of the damn things. It seems like eBay, classifieds, and bike breakers are the best places to go, and otherwise there just aren't many specific places left selling stuff. Am I more or less correct, or am I missing a few obvious places to go?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:37:19 AM by l88m22vette » Logged

2000 Monster 750, yellow/bronze, first bike!
greenmonster

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 08:35:47 AM »

.It seems like eBay, classifieds, and bike breakers are the best places to go, and otherwise there just aren't many specific places left selling stuff.
True.

What parts are you looking for?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
l88m22vette

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:09:45 AM »

Um, that's probably a big part of the problem, I tend to look at all the stuff available and then buy stuff that interests me. For instance, I got the rear fender from Japan because it was OEM carbon fiber but had the early 3-hole mount and shorter, radiused edge design.Its always fun to troll and be able to snag a few things through luck, but I was hoping for a few more go-to places like Bellismoto. Maintenance stuff, and hopefully places that can differentiate between the changes the Monster went through.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 10:14:23 AM »

I have above 400 bookmarks, from tiny ebay vendors, via large shops, threads from here. At least 300-350 are still live, so the info is available. Want them? I think I can export and somehow then send you.

MonsterParts, SlingShotRacing, OPP Racing, Bevel Heaven, YoYoDyne, Gotham, Suncoast Motorcycles, Duccutters, DesmoWorld, Carpimoto, ElectraEon, Wagner Lewis clutches, Carbon World, Ricambi Weiss.......

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
l88m22vette

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »

This makes me want this to be a thread for links and sources of stuff that are still relevant in 2020, I have hyperlinks to share. I export my bookmarks to an .html file and then open in Firefox, that gives me the hyperlinked titles, I just copy all and paste into a .docx file.

If there is an easy way to post or attach those without having to edit in every one (it doesn't just copy and paste to our old forum software), let's do that. I'll go through and edit as many of my useless or double bookmarks.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »

This makes me want this to be a thread for links and sources of stuff that are still relevant in 2020, I have hyperlinks to share.

~~~SNIP~~~

That would be a noble and useful thing to do.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
l88m22vette

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 05:44:54 AM »

I was about to jump in and organize ALL my bookmarks, but the reality is that I'd just be cross-posting a bunch of stuff that are already the go-to's I found on other websites. I'd like to know if any companies can help us even without it being listed on their website, like I know RaceTech will support old shocks rebuilds even though they aren't actually listed. Finally, if you know of a company that is a goner but has awesome stuff to watch for that won't hurt, for instance right now there is a Road Runner cluster on eBay for $600, they generally made pretty amazing stuff.

Let's post up where to get good maintenance or mod parts, especially if a company is still out there supporting the specifics of the non-ST Monsters waytogo
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:47:50 AM by l88m22vette » Logged

greencow

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »

As the owner of a 1997 m750, I wholeheartedly support this endeavor.  Finding stuff can be hard.  bang head
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »

I'm thinking this should be a sticky in Acc & Mods.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Timmy Tucker

Banninated

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »

I think Monsterparts is closed now, aren’t they? Seems like I remember reading an email months ago that they were closing up shop.

1999 M750 - "Piggy"
2007 S4RS
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 02:21:23 PM »

I think Monsterparts is closed now, aren’t they? Seems like I remember reading an email months ago that they were closing up shop.

Still a sale going on. Maybe also ideas for rare products one might need and can get from elsewhere later.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: