Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 01:50:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tall rider finds an answer! FYI  (Read 1825 times)
showerfan
S4rs

Then I’ll be president of Texaco Oil?!

« on: March 01, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »

FYI, I have been a monster owner since 2003, when I bought my first Ducati, an M620Sie in the Senna livery.  bow down

I’ve struggled through the years of m900s, M1100s, an S4RS  drool and now an M1200 Anniversario — with LONG legs and long arms. I’m 6’3” but with a 36” inseam. I’ve tried lower footpegs, DP comfort seats, Sargent seats and risers, and nothing was ever perfect. Frankly, I’d basically given up and settled for a life on XDiavels and Multistradas  bang head

But I think now, I’ve finally found the answer! I had a custom seat made — for the first time — and though it takes *a bit* away from the form of the monster, it makes A WORLD of difference  Dolph

I think I’ve found my favorite bike of all time  Grin

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:28:37 AM by showerfan » Logged

Give me a shout if you know any good motorcycle detailers in the Westchester area.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 09:55:04 AM »

That's good news!

Your pics appear to be broken.  Huh?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »

Good work waytogo
I have also found the use of a custom seat very important to create the personal ergonomic package required. I have three seats for my M750, the oem I don't use, a modified Sargent seat with an Airhawk pad and luggage pack, and a modified oem seat for pillion duties.
At a compact 5'8" and 200 lbs my requirements are different, but a custom seat essential. I describe my M1100Evo as "roomy". laughingdp. My issues are riding style, sports related injuries and arthritis. I discovered that I was unable to ride my Hypermotard and GSXR effectively until I had the seats modified.
Great to hear you achieved a tailormade fit.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
showerfan
S4rs

Then I’ll be president of Texaco Oil?!

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:08:13 AM »

Re the photos — that‘s weird — they work for me. But i posted the same thing in the Monster 797 821 1200 Owners Group on Facebook, so you‘ll see even more pics there. The seat is gorgeous, IMO, and it just. Changes. Everything.

I wish I’d known this sometime in the last 20 years... I am old and rusty, so v happy not to fold my legs up into pretzels. Now I’ll see if the same thing works for the panigale! Although i actually found the 1199 comfier than my M900.

Give me a shout if you know any good motorcycle detailers in the Westchester area.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 10:16:15 AM »

The seat does look good and could be stock if you didnt know Monsters. waytogo. Like a DP comfort seat.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 10:33:07 AM »

That's good news!

Your pics appear to be broken.  Huh?
Pics work for me.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 07:16:47 PM »

They work for me too.  Nice job on the seat waytogo
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 07:52:02 AM »

Nice!  You can tell it's different, but you have to look pretty hard to see what's different... which is good.

I'm in the same boat as you... 6'2" on a 796 Monster.  The factory seat is woeful, and the most I can get out of it is about 3 hours; biggest problem is the shape... it just slides you right into the tank, which is great for sport riding, not so much for longer rides, and it puts all your weight on your wrists.

I have considered getting taller bars (or raising the current ones.)  When I had my CBR1000F, with a similarly terrible stock seat, I got HeliBars... which was an absolute game changer, they made the poor seat less an issue.  My concern with the Monster is issues with control cables on taller bars... will they reach without modification?  I think maybe a taller seat might be a better solution.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 02:07:28 PM »

Beefy

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 02:59:42 PM »

It has to be to relieve his hips and knees. I guess Shower's arms are way long enough to reach the bars with the elevated seat height. I'd be in a full racing crouch with that seat and wearing platform boots ala Slade  laughingdp.
What matters is being close enough to the basic form.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: