Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 01:34:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home to Roost  (Read 12172 times)
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« on: February 10, 2020, 05:42:34 AM »

A pretty cool thing happened this weekend…but first a little background info…

Back in June of 1993, I finally graduated from college after dawdling my way through (much of said dawdle due to paying my own way, I might add). For some time prior to graduating, one of many points of motivation was the desire to buy a new Harley once I got out. However, those were the days when new Harleys were a pretty sound investment, and getting a new one usually meant going on a waiting list for a year or more and paying a big premium over list price. Hmm, what’s a fresh engineer with a mechanical background to do? Build one, of course. And in late 1993 I began slowly collecting the parts as money permitted, hand picking exactly what I wanted for components, doing the majority of the initial assembly in the kitchen of the place I rented at the time. Sorry about the permanent tire tread impressions in the linoleum there, Mr. Landlord. It took a while, but the dream was fully realized in the spring of 1997, and it took a trophy in its first show after a late night thrash to finish up last minute details to get it there.

Then, before I knew it, about ten years flew by and other projects and priorities prompted its sale. Down the road it went, and it hurt just a little inside to see it go since it was the first motorcycle I built, not to mention being a motivating force in my life to some degree. Then time went on and another ten plus years went by. Funny how that works, right? Other bikes came and went, and a couple stayed. Then one day I got a message from the guy I sold that first custom to, after getting my contact info from a mutual acquaintance and asking if I might want it back. Would I?!? A deal was struck, and the rest is history.

Number One is back home to roost. I’m not certain if I should blow it apart and redo it entirely, or if I should just leave it alone for the most part and just clean it up and tidy up the tatters (the most likely scenario). I’m not sure at the moment, but there’s no rush. Regardless, it’s great that it’s back where it belongs.

I have a steel rear fender in the archives somewhere, and am pondering replacing the wheels to get more rubber out back. Speaking of which, bonus points for anyone who can identify the bike the wheels originally came off of. As I recall, the front rotors indicated they were Suzuki. The wheels themselves are Dymags, and are super light minus sprockets and brakes.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 08:06:45 AM »

I've got a buddy with a '69 Z-28 that I'm pretty sure he's sold and bought back twice.  Tongue

I don't think Dymags came as OEM on any bikes, only aftermarket.
Perhaps Bimota.
Might be worth a dye-pen test on the wheels.....old magnesium parts can be sketchy.

Looks like driveline and tires will get you back rolling.
Rear rotor didn't like the non-overlapping hole pattern.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »

Congrats on getting your old bike back.  I was wondering if those wheels are genuine Dymag.  I am usually not fond of spokes but I think that bike wants them.  I would also stick with period mods on a bike that nice, in other words, no fat tire.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »

Awesome!  waytogo Blow it apart, it wants you to.  Wink  Oh and it needs at least a 180 on the rear.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »

Great story and congratulations.
Will it be the same bike if you deviate from it's current style too much? Dunno.

What carb is it running?

2015 Scrambler 800
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 08:10:07 PM »

I’m facing the same conundrum...  I bought the Coup D’etat back in April...  To blow it apart and right all my wrongs, or to just fix the needed bits,,.

Congrats!

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 04:02:30 AM »

'Grats Dave.

I say leave it. It won't be happy being something it isn't.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 07:27:41 AM »

I think the wheels are going to go. I wanted to run a 180 on the rear originally since that was the max the chassis would accept, but a 150 was as wide as I could go on the mag wheel. I'm thinking classic chrome spokes front and rear at the moment since that's what I wanted back then but couldn't afford. The rear rotor is toast, I guess the brake liked to stick, probably due to the second owner's shitty forward controls. They're going away and it will be back to mid shift as I had it. The engine has an Edelbrock carb on it now, it used to have a RevTech that was borderline too big. It has a different set of heads on it now also after the PO had a piston mishap due to detonation; it had domed pistons with healthy aftermarket heads originally, and was barely streetable on pump gas as it didn't like to be lugged around like a typical Harley. It was pretty stout in its day.

After some initial cleanup, the paint is in remarkable shape given its age, just needs some touch ups. It needs a new rear fender entirely too as the plastic original as shown is badly stress cracked but I have a new steel one in the archives. I think I know a guy that paints stuff....

And now for the tremendously shitty part. Deep breath. I lost my stepson, Kevin, to a heart attack on Monday morning not long after my initial post. He was only 32. What a terrible thing. He was about 10 when I gave him his first motorcycle ride on this very bike. He and I talked about the bike on the phone last Saturday, and he was beyond stoked that I got it back. He was supposed to inherit it someday, and it's soul crushing to say the least. With all this coming to pass, it makes sense to just correct the wrongs and leave it more or less intact with just a few minor changes, and ride the shit out of it.

Hug your peeps, folks.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 08:06:20 AM »

That's heartbreaking, I can't even imagine how I'd feel.
So sorry for your loss.
Indeed, hug your peeps.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 08:42:10 AM »

So sorry, Dave.

My sincere condolences.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »

Sorry to hear that brother. RIP

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »

Damn, so sorry to hear.  My heart goes out to you
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 01:16:02 PM »

Our sincere condolences. So glad you got the bike back with that history.

2015 Scrambler 800
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »

Damn.  So sorry to hear.  RIP

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 04:47:40 PM »

oh no! very tough to read that, dam shame. at a young age, condolences to family.

.... all the world is yours.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: