Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 10:15:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone ride a 1200s? And are you TALL??  (Read 1999 times)
showerfan
S4rs

Then I’ll be president of Texaco Oil?!

« on: February 02, 2020, 10:25:50 AM »

Hi there, this is not my first rodeo. But I haven’t been in Monster world since my 20th anniversary M1100. My first bike was an
620, then an M900 followed by a Panigale 1199 and an MTS1200, etc. Always had Ducatis — this will me number 11 — and am now coming back to Monster-land with a 2019 1200s Anniversario.

On the ride from Hamburg to Berlin yesterday, I noticed, at 6’3” and 46 years old, that I’m going to have to make the kind of mods I’d long forgotten, since I’ve been riding a Multistrada and an XDiavel for a few years — I need more legroom and/or knee replacement surgery.

What are other taller riders doing to help? I’ve ordered the touring seat, but I fear what I really need are adjustable rearsets THAT ALLOW LOWER SETTINGS. Is there anything out there?

IIRC the lowering-peg kits from MFW Vario and others push your feet out so far it’s hard to hit the shifter/brake pedal. But I’ve only found rearsets that raise the footpegs.

I wonder if anyone’s gone the extra mile to machine his own? Or am I missing something on the market?

Thanks, Matt

PS I know clearance can be an issue, but I’m less concerned about that than I used to be. I’ll ride my multi on trips to the Alps and a V4 on the track, so I really just want this Monster to be a comfortable commuter.

Give me a shout if you know any good motorcycle detailers in the Westchester area.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 11:32:25 AM »

One of the options to move foot pegs for more legroom.

https://japan.webike.net/products/9733101.html

Copycat product on eBay has 40mm rotating radius,  AELLA pegs rotating radius is 20mm, in 12 position.

Yes, they cost more, and have less rotating radius, but I recommend to get these rather than e-Bay items.
 They are better designed, better built, higher quality, and you can get replacement parts.

The full thread is here.
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=76387.15
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »

2014-2016.

https://www.geckoracing.it/en/rearsets/ducati-monster-821,-1200-s-2014-2016-shop-on-line.html

I don't know their height range (lowering?), but they seem to be slim profile and affordable.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
showerfan
S4rs

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 01:14:31 PM »

I think I will try this, although I’m always concerned about the distance it puts between my foot and the controls. Still, I won’t know if I don’t try, right? And I believe Rizoma also makes these for the Monster 1200 specifically.

Why doesn’t anyone machine his or her own rearsets/footrests? How hard can it be? I need to look into that as well...

Thanks!

Give me a shout if you know any good motorcycle detailers in the Westchester area.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:24:19 AM »

<SNIP>
Why doesn’t anyone machine his or her own rearsets/footrests? How hard can it be? I need to look into that as well...

<SNIP>

Pretty hard, actually. (Or, should I say, time consuming.)

I don't know what it's like in your area, but, here, in San Francisco Bay Area, it won't happen unless you own machine shop.

Back in the early - mid 90s, when KOSMAN (Sandy Kosman, the founder and original owner of KOSMAN) was still in San Francisco, I saw him doing all kind of fabrication.
He would make things like SPONDON (style) banana swingarm.
But, even Sandy back then, wouldn't do custom. one off rear set.
(well, I guess he would have, if someone paid $5k or so in cash. I was a "small job" customer. Still, he was nice enough, he even lend me outrigger front sprocket once.)

Back then, when fitting CBR 600 F2 / F3 front end to EX500 was popular, a lot of people around here used machine shop for the project.
Most of the time, people (like myself) made the job small and paid cash, so that the machinist can slip them in between their "real" work.
When I had my (back then) beloved turbo GPz, Sandy was already moved to Windsor, but his top machinist J.P. opened his own machine shop in South San Francisco, and I used his service a lot.
He would make custom frame, custom swingarm, but wouldn't do rear set.

I ended up finding ZX-6R's foot control parts (a bit from here, a bit from there, true MAD MAX style), made a template of adapter plate, and asked him to machine it.

If you know exactly how much (and in which direction ) you want to move foot controls, you may be able to ask local machinist to fabricate the adapter.

Hint
Wayne Rainey's GPz 750 AMA Superbike racer

look closely, which part is fabricated, which parts are existing parts, how they simplified.
Something like this is doable, with the aid of local machinist.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:05:47 AM »

You might want to try same height, pegs further back a bit.  And, maybe modify your seat for a bit more height.
showerfan
S4rs

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »

Nice GPZ!!!  drool

Howie! Good to see you’re still on the board! Thanks for the advice.

I actually found these CNC rearsets that *look like* they say the footpegs can be set 20 mm south of stock. That would be ideal but I can’t fully trust the Italian to English translation... message sent  coffee

https://www.cncracing.com/en/ducati_monster_1200-s_2019/adjustable-rear-sets-ducati-1164.html

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »

https://www.cncracing.com/attachments/1164/4/ENG/PE444_03_PEGPOS.pdf

I'd say no capability for lower position; either 10mm forward or 15mm up compared to OEM.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
greenmonster

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 04:42:18 AM »

.IIRC the lowering-peg kits from MFW Vario and others push your feet out so far it’s hard to hit the shifter/brake pedal.

Not IMHO.
Had MFW Vario for 10 years on a 907 and MTS, not hard at all, on an road bike.
http://www.mfw-wolf.de/en/Vario-and-Replacement-Footpegs/Vario-Footpeg-System/Varioplates/Vario-Displacement-Arm-25-50mm1
 very flexible.
 I`m 191 cm.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
showerfan
S4rs

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 12:27:43 AM »

Nice, thanks. I will try.

I am also having a seat custom made, because the touring seat is still too short up front and it slides you forward to the tank.

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 08:07:08 AM »

I am also having a seat custom made, because the touring seat is still too short up front and it slides you forward to the tank.

Nothing to add except I'm 6'2" and on my 796 I feel like an elephant riding a peanut sometimes.  I agree... the factor seat shape slides you right up into the tank, it is, quite literally, a pain in... well, you know where.  Probably a great seat for someone 5'6"...

Let us know how the new seat works... I've considered altering mine, or having one fabricated.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: