Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 04:56:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New (Old) Garage Ornament - 1966 Sears 250  (Read 8619 times)
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 08:03:11 AM »

I wonder if it's fuel breakdown related. It really almost has to be. I'm guessing this thing had leaded gas in it, and after almost four decades of sitting, who knows?

Usually all you have is very varnishy gas and a little tank rust. This is a puzzler.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 08:26:38 AM »

Premix

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »

Premix

These weirdos don't utilize premix (other than for initial break-in), I was shocked to read this in the manual. However, that doesn't mean that there wasn't oil mixed into that tank.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 04:54:04 PM »

I'm wondering if it's a concoction to prevent tank rust.

Certainly isn't regular gas shit from the era.

Cars from 50 years ago with leaded fuel start right up.

That stuff didn't seem to go bad.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 04:59:07 PM »

These weirdos don't utilize premix
~~~SNIP~~~

Wut
------------
EDIT They're oil squirters like Yamahas, yes?

Said there was an oil tank 'in' the gas tank?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 05:09:51 PM by Speeddog » Logged

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 09:49:18 PM »

If my memory is accurate they had oil injection.
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 06:25:26 AM »

Howie's right - the manual states explicitly that no premix is used unless for initial break in, they suck oil from the front of the left side of the gas tank (hence the two caps). The throttle also runs a cable that regulates the oil pump feed. Pretty amazing stuff considering they were making these starting in 1953.

Still mystified by the gas tank. Flushed some more with E85, pulled the tank, drained, let it dry out a while, thumped the tank like a bongo over and over, and got piles of nasty powdery crud out of the fill hole. No more black mystery goo. The amazing thing is that from where the fuel level was downward the tank metal is pristine and shiny. Too bad the tank wasn't full to the top.

dp might be right, but I'd be surprised if anything had been dumped in it as a preservative. But, I can't imagine things would be as rosy without something in there all this time. Who knows. Now I'm waiting for traces of residual gas/liquid to dry out thoroughly and it's time for the first (dry) round of BBs to loosen up anything else before I start the vinegar regimen.

Changed plugs in it too since the tank is off, the rearmost plug is basically impossible to remove with the tank in place. Plugs were nice and squeaky with light thread rust. The rear plug was marked "Allstate" and I'm guessing it was original to the bike since they sold these bikes as Allstates prior to '66. I need to make up some new battery cables and will be able to see if this thing has spark soon.

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 05:18:33 AM »

For future reference, the tried and true 'fill it with vinegar' method works very well. However, there's an allegedly environmentally safe product out there called EvapoRust that is even better. The stuff is amazing, and I followed up my vinegar soak with this stuff. Leaves rusty steel like new as you can see. I've been soaking various external bits of this bike in the stuff with great results.

Up next I get to play upholsterer and redo the seat cover, which is so dry rotted and cracked it can't be saved.

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 05:09:43 AM »

The old girl cleaned up pretty well. She's got too much precious patina to violate it any further than my thorough cleaning. waytogo

Recover seat, check. Fab new battery cables, check. Verify static timing, check. Test for spark, check. Fab and fix missing rear gas tank mount, check. Test for gas leaks, check.

When I went to check for spark, it was pretty damn cool to hit the key and have all the lights come on for the first time since 1981. All signs point to this thing running as soon as the snow is gone and I can get it outside. If it runs well, about all it will need is tires and plug wires. Game on.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 05:32:49 AM »

Looking great!
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »

Wow!   Shocked  That looks awesome.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 04:55:43 AM »

Well, we had a beautiful spring day in the low 60s on Saturday before snow came back for Easter, so it was time to wheel this beast out and see what's what.

Three or four kicks, bam! Runs like a top, idles nicely and almost silently. I put three miles on it puttering around the neighborhood on the ancient rubber, no drama, everything works. Starts on one kick when warm.

Time to get some new tires ordered so I can ride this thing for real.  Cool

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 05:37:02 AM »

Nice!  Looks great.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 05:45:01 AM »

That's awesome, Dave. waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2020, 06:16:16 AM »

Very cool!

When are the Toomey pipes arriving?

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: