Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:12:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pants and armor  (Read 5859 times)
d3vi@nt

« on: October 11, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »

I have some AGV Sport perforated leather pants that I feel offer great protection. They look super dorky off the bike though, so I'm looking for similar protection that is less obtrusive for more casual rides.

I got some Iron Workers jeans, which seemed to fit ok in the store. I decided they're too long off the bike, and once on the bike, they're too short. Plus the knee pads ride up to mid-thigh when on the bike. I've also found the kevlar jeans can be pretty hot on a warm day.  I've tried some other textile pants and overpants, but I always feel the looser fit won't keep the armor in the right places if/when I hit the pavement.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/FHE on more casual pants that provide decent protection?

TIA

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Frank C

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 05:42:12 AM »

Two thoughts...

Been wearing the Alpinestars express overpants for a few years.  Would wear it to the office over some dress slacks or by itself for cross country rides.  Had a get off last week.  Textile trashed but the armor held up and did its job.  Don't think they are available anymore but there are similar pants out there.

Met a guy who always wore off road knee/shin pads under his pants.  A compromise, but better than jeans or carhartts alone.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 08:07:34 AM »

http://uniongaragenyc.com/shop/motorcycle-pants  should give you some ideas.  Also  https://www.therokkercompany.com/?lang=en  particularly the chinos.
d3vi@nt

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 10:12:08 AM »

Shopped around a while (online). Closest stores to me are a 2 hour drive, so not ideal. Definitely challenging shopping for gear online.

Ended up with a pair of Reax 610 jeans: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/reax-610-jeans

Reax is a relatively new company. Their stuff seems pretty solid from what I've seen.

Pants seem good. They have a bit of stretch, so should be comfortable. Aramid lining where you would expect it. Pant cuffs are too narrow to wear over boots, so one minus for me. Pockets for hip armor, though none provided.

The knee protection is the only worrisome part so far. The armor is so hard and doesn't seem to flex much, such that it puts a lot of pressure on the knee when bent. I can't imagine this will be comfortable for any length of time, but maybe it will soften some. Haven't had a chance to test them on the bike yet, as it's been cold and snowy here lately.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 12:22:29 PM »

I have MX style shin+knee protectors, but never use them for my 3 miles jeans commute. The knee protectors are too small and are flapping around, but I feel better with them.

With firmly placed knee protectors, maybe plus hip protectors in the latest greatest abrasion resistant materials = as good or better than off the shelf leather.

60 mph - 0 takes about seven seconds. Best jeans 10 seconds. Standard leather ~5-6-7 seconds.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:15:01 AM »

Reax 610 only come in 32" inseam???  Wow, thanks, guys... leaving us taller riders in the dust.   Angry

I know I really need to come up with a riding pant solution... I doubt my Levi 550's would hold up well.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
d3vi@nt

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 09:49:58 AM »

My leathers have shin protectors, which I find odd, as any non-casual moto boot would have equal if not better shin protection. So I'm effectively tucking my pants+shin protectors inside my boots, which is less comfortable.

60 mph - 0 takes about seven seconds. Best jeans 10 seconds. Standard leather ~5-6-7 seconds.
Are you referring to abrasion time here?

One study I found recently indicated only jeans with specific construction/weave (loop-knit p-aramid) came close to leathers: http://dro.deakin.edu.au/eserv/DU:30069841/hurren-performancecomparisonof-2014.pdf

Fascinating topic...

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 01:26:20 PM »

Abrasion resistance, yes.

Since the tests done in that study, the materials have been developed further - clearing CE Level 2 requirements - some even beyond that. 

It's a huge market and the competition have brought 'jeans' up to the level of 'leather' - at a much lower price. I still put on my leathers for advanced riding, but that is mostly a habit. Track days / club racing will still insist on leather - even if the advantage isn't there any longer (unless we're talking about professional dual, triple layers of exotic leather)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 04:13:12 PM »

I've often wondered about the Kevlar craze... Kevlar is great for punctures, not so much for abrasion.  Everything seems to have it in it... am I missing something?

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »

I tested old Draggin' jeans with a grinder . The cutting wheel only frayed the Kevlar so it must have been the good stuff. I use youth size MX shin/knee protectors under Kevlar jeans as it is about the same size as adult size road race armour in a race suit and will fit.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »

I went with the Ruste Protection custom jeans about 5 years ago and they are still holding up great. Highly recommended. They ship you a DHL box with a return label, you put your jeans of choice in there and ship it back and they line them with kevlar top to bottom with optional armor. They're your jeans so you already like how they look! I love mine. Couple tips: 1. Go a size up 2. I recommend going with Japanese Selvedge denim as it's much better and stronger than US made Denim these days. (Japan bought all the old US Denim looms). Most quality brands will offer a line of Japanese Selvedge denim jeans you will pay more but if you can find them on sale it's a steal as they last forever. I picked up a pair of Banana Republic Japanese Selvedge Jeans for 60% off during one of their big sales. They look and feel great and you cant tell they're armored as you dont see any visible stitching on the outside.

https://www.rusteprotection.com/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:46:04 AM by The ModFather » Logged

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
d3vi@nt

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »

Cool concept and option.

My only thought/concern is that they mention nothing about seam reinforcement. Most moto-specific jeans have triple stitching on the seams, which I believe would be a significant weak point in regular jeans.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 06:32:31 AM »

Cool concept and option.

My only thought/concern is that they mention nothing about seam reinforcement. Most moto-specific jeans have triple stitching on the seams, which I believe would be a significant weak point in regular jeans.

There is essentially full length Kevlar/CooMax pants inside the jeans so even if your outter jeans tore at the seams you would be protected.

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: