Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 15, 2024, 03:17:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster S4R idle issues when fans come on. Please Help!!!  (Read 2269 times)
eburns996

« on: August 10, 2019, 08:26:24 AM »

Hey everyone, fairly new to the ducati world but not as new when it comes to working on my own machines. I am having an interesting issue with my 06 s4r. Seems to be every time the fans come on(225 degrees F) my idle gets all choppy and the bike doesnt want to run until like 4k rpm. As soon as the bike cools down the issue goes away. Also will have some throttle surge if this happens more then once. Does anyone have any insight? My dad has an 06 s2r so i swapped rectifiers with him to see if that would solve the problem and it did not. Any insight would be appreciated. 
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »

Hmmm.. that's a new one.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »

How "new" is the S4R to you?
How long have you been riding that thing?

The first thing you should do (if you haven't done already), is to check the coolant level.
(Also, do you know who did the last coolant change?
Because the coolant filling method described in (genuine) Ducati's service manual is WRONG.
If you follow the manual, you'd end up not having enough coolant in your system, which will cause problem.)

(I wrote about it years ago.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=56984.0

Yes, the thread is ruined by photobucket. I think I really should fix this thread (I mean this coolant change thread in tutorial section).

Anyhow, ... start from there.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »

Does the idle get choppy *exactly* when the fans come on?

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
eburns996

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »

Hey, thanks for the response. Ive had the bike since April. Put around 2-3k miles on it and then tore it down for a valve job. So i was last to change coolant and its full. I dont know the filling method you are referring to, but to my knowledge you fill the rad and bleed all the air out right? Yes, idle get choppy right when fans come on and is pretty much fine when they are off. This is why I first checked the rectifier.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 04:11:48 PM »

Hey, thanks for the response. Ive had the bike since April. Put around 2-3k miles on it and then tore it down for a valve job. So i was last to change coolant and its full. I dont know the filling method you are referring to, but to my knowledge you fill the rad and bleed all the air out right? Yes, idle get choppy right when fans come on and is pretty much fine when they are off. This is why I first checked the rectifier.

Sounds like when the fans come on it's pulling the voltage down on the ECU or fuel pump or coils or injectors.

Best to examine the wiring diagram and see which parts it might be effected.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

RB

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 09:37:21 AM »

Sounds like when the fans come on it's pulling the voltage down on the ECU or fuel pump or coils or injectors.

Best to examine the wiring diagram and see which parts it might be effected.
Thanks for the responses folks, my son and I have been scratching our heads over this for a few months now. we did notice a burned connector on the rectifier connector.
Anyone know if the LT Snyder book explains the Stator test? I'm at work and the manual is home.
Also,
are there any workhshop manula links for the 06 S4R? I have the s2R, but I haven't been able to find the S4r.

Thanks
RB

Storing this quote and link for reference
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=68426.0
snip...
.Disconnect the connector from the stator to the regulator.  Run the engine at a speed of 2K RPM.  With an AC voltmeter measure across all three wires, two at a time.  If you read 28-33 volts all is good.  While you are there check the condition of that connector.  If bad, replace with one of better quality or eliminate.  You must also replace any burnt wire.  If good, clean and pack with dielectric grease.  Often that connector is the cause of your problem and a contributor, if not spotted, to component failure.  Reassemble and retest.  You want to see 13.5 - 14.5 volts at 3K RPM. 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:03:46 AM by RB » Logged

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »

It's available from duc.nu for short money as a pdf download... http://duc.nu/?model=monster ...scroll down.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

RB

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 10:24:22 AM »

^^^

thanks!!

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 12:39:27 PM »

Check AC votage across all 3 possible pairings of the yellow stator wires.

At idle should be 16-ish VAC, and get over 50 by 5k rpm or so.
It can get up to 100VAC, just so you're aware.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »

Oh, this too:

http://bradthebikeboy.blogspot.com/2012/11/charging-system-diagnosis-procedure.html

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

RB

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 03:35:51 AM »

Thank speeddog he measured voltage across the stator and it looked good so he cut the bad connector out and crimped it for now. Bikes runs slightly better. We will check the link out you posted thanks
RB

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 03:55:26 AM »

Sounds like you are in the right direction.  You might still have voltage drop in the charging circuit.  This includes simple things like dirty battery cables or poor ground.  Load test the battery as well.  The fans are a rather large draw.  Check voltage at the ignition coils when the fans come on as well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:04:03 AM by howie » Logged
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 08:48:54 AM »

In stock condition, these bikes need electrical remediation pretty badly. I had weird problems too, like the bike shutting off at random, all cluster lights lit up. I knew what it was, no troubleshooting needed. Just replaced the rectifier with a MOSFET unit. They all do the same thing. You will continue to have issues with the stock item I'm afraid, because it's universally accepted that they are garbage.

I also installed a Motolectric starter circuit wiring kit and a Shorai lithium. These are solid upgrades, no filler. I like to be able to depend on whatever I'm riding to not break down, also to not catch fire or whatever. But maybe that's just me.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Stuka Pilot

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 01:23:34 AM »

I would isolate each fan one at a time to see whether the fan itself is drawing too much current, then work through the system via elimination.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: