Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 17, 2024, 06:01:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from Sacramento - 98' Dark + juicy upcoming mods  (Read 1651 times)
sakshi

« on: July 16, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »

I recently purchased a 98' M900 Dark with FCR 39s, 12K miles, original owner/all records. My first monster was a 96' M900, and owned two 900SS CRs and a 97' 916 prior to the Dark. ((The bike is now for sale in Sacramento, will comes with stock Mikunis[/img])

The Dark has racked FCR 41s (I traded my 39s for 41s) w/ blue 50MM (?) velocity stacks and a shorty exhaust. I also have an Ignitech and am waiting for my TPS to arrive as I already have a TSP kit which includes a TPS mounting adapter to mount the TPS module to the carb body + the key to be soldered to throttle shaft upon which the TPS module mounts. I have Liam's (owner of FastBikeGear) Ignitech tuning manual so this will be fun! Hopefully I don't blow up the motor.

The header has a larger junction as pictured. I thought this was important to have because the previous owner of the heads (which had OEM cams btw) had them on a 944 with FCR 41s and a Stradafab exhaust and he pushed 95 wheel and the FCRs weren't even fully dialed in. I think that power begins demanding larger cross-over ID depending on application.

I am rebuilding the heads just for good measure. Chris Birkle at Racing Sport Services in Georgia modified them. They have larger valves, polished, and hand ported to match 41s. I have SS IE cams ready to be thrown in. I can't wait to remove the malnutritioned W heads currently on the bike.

I threw on rear-sets from my 900SS CR. They look so much better. The design of OEM ones simply offended me. Due to the left rear-set's geometry shifting is now GP style

Frankly, I miss the upright position of the Monster, but I forgot how unsuitable the seat was for the amount of the torque these bikes have, and my body. I often find myself squeezing the tank exceptionally hard during hard acceleration just to stay on because the rear of the seat is more of an invitation to slide off rather than keep me up forward. I'm 5' 9" and 145 pounds - maybe that's why. A custom seat is in the works. Corbins are more comfortable, don't fully address the problem.

Surprisingly, this is the best picture I have of my bike. I use Klotz oil. I've heard of too many long-time Ducati mechanics take apart our motors and find that some other brands, especially Motul, leave a lot of gunk in the motor. Klotz was recommended to me by a Ducati engineer in Bologna, and also a popular Ducati mechanic friend who formerly worked under Bruce Meyers also recommends Klotz due to noticing it amassed the least amount of gunk in motors who religiously used it including his own. YMMV.

Cheerio!
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »

Welcome chug

Great to see how the project goes waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Heath

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 11:56:09 PM »

Welcome!
If you are on Instagram follow sacramentodesmo for our local club info or search facebook for Sacramento Ducati.
We meet up at Hot Italian the 3rd Monday of every month between 5:30-7:30.  We may change the location in the future but for now that's been our go to.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: