Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 02:34:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to revive dead AGM battery?  (Read 2120 times)
d3vi@nt

« on: June 15, 2019, 08:19:54 AM »

I never got a second battery tender, so the Yuasa AGM in my ST2 completely discharged over the winter. I've had it hooked up to my Battery Tender Jr. for a week or so, which is still flashing the 'Charging' LED.  I went to run it over a few days ago and didn't even get a click. Still totally dead.

Are there any tricks to revive it, or is it shot?

The battery is only a few years old and was always on the tender up until this last winter.

TIA

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Buhgaboo

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:25:06 AM »

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/charging/resuscitate-deeply-discharged-battery
greenohawk69

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:26:06 AM »

I was just going to post this! Lol

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:05:20 PM »

There is a possibility of bringing that battery back to life with that charger.  Probably won't live much longer though.  Me, I would put that money into a new battery.
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 05:17:00 PM »

I just went through the same thing with the battery on my XR... even AGM batteries finally give it up.  I went ahead and replaced it, and the OEM battery in the Monster... it is 5+ years old and getting weak anyway.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
d3vi@nt

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:33:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Any recommendations for an inexpensive true charger? Seems most I come across are similar to the tender that I have, which is unable to charge from dead. I'm not sure how tell what can charge from dead.

I figure I'll try reviving this one and see how it goes.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »

You can buy something like this   https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1279-12V-Rapid-Charger/dp/B07DM22XTN/ref=sr_1_14?qid=1560790915&refinements=p_89%3ASchumacher&s=automotive&sr=1-14  You want one with a maximum charging rate of 10 amps or less.

An alternative technique is run a battery with some charge in parallel with yours and charge both.  As soon as your battery has some charge just charge yours by itself.  This would take a long time, a little more than 13 hours with a Jr. or about 8 with a Plus.

Your Tender should be able to eventually charge a stone dead battery unless the battery is defective or the battery is installed in the bike and there is a notable drain on the battery.  What are the lights on the Tender doing?   Do keep in mind a battery that has been sitting in an undercharged state for a long period of time will have suffered from sulfation, the reason for my earlier reply.
d3vi@nt

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »

You can buy something like this   https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1279-12V-Rapid-Charger/dp/B07DM22XTN/ref=sr_1_14?qid=1560790915&refinements=p_89%3ASchumacher&s=automotive&sr=1-14  You want one with a maximum charging rate of 10 amps or less.

An alternative technique is run a battery with some charge in parallel with yours and charge both.  As soon as your battery has some charge just charge yours by itself.  This would take a long time, a little more than 13 hours with a Jr. or about 8 with a Plus.

Your Tender should be able to eventually charge a stone dead battery unless the battery is defective or the battery is installed in the bike and there is a notable drain on the battery.  What are the lights on the Tender doing?   Do keep in mind a battery that has been sitting in an undercharged state for a long period of time will have suffered from sulfation, the reason for my earlier reply.
Thanks, Howie.

I'm assuming the battery is probably toast, though I wanted to at least attempt to revive it.

The Tender (it's a Plus, not a Junior --sorry), is flashing red, which indicates the tender is working but not charging. Which means it detects < 3 volts from the battery.  I'm not sure if the Schumacher unit will overcome this low voltage or not.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 01:26:58 PM »

Thanks, Howie.

I'm assuming the battery is probably toast, though I wanted to at least attempt to revive it.

The Tender (it's a Plus, not a Junior --sorry), is flashing red, which indicates the tender is working but not charging. Which means it detects < 3 volts from the battery.  I'm not sure if the Schumacher unit will overcome this low voltage or not.
I've read mixed reviews on the Schumacher units regarding charging completely dead batteries. You can always hook two batteries together in parallel, one good and the bad unit, to get the bad unit above the no charge threshold. I'm looking at a new Schumacher unit for using around the place for multiple sizes of batteries.

I'm looking at this one... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07895QQBN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »

I have one very similar to the one Ducpainter tagged.  Mine is a bit older, so it's not fully automatic... I get to choose the charge rate (2a, 5a, 10a) and what kind of battery it is, which I like.  I don't believe it has a 'maintainer' function, but it may.  I use my Yuasa tender for that purpose, anyway.

FWIW, I had my XR battery on the big charger for 24 hours and it never picked up a charge... it's just dead.  Unless you like to push start your motorcycle when you are out somewhere... I would just pull the plug and get a new battery.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 02:57:34 AM »

I have one very similar to the one Ducpainter tagged.  Mine is a bit older, so it's not fully automatic... I get to choose the charge rate (2a, 5a, 10a) and what kind of battery it is, which I like.  I don't believe it has a 'maintainer' function, but it may.  I use my Yuasa tender for that purpose, anyway.

FWIW, I had my XR battery on the big charger for 24 hours and it never picked up a charge... it's just dead.  Unless you like to push start your motorcycle when you are out somewhere... I would just pull the plug and get a new battery.
Even on the 'fully automatic' models the user has to choose the battery type, and max charge rate. If nothing is chosen in 10 minutes it will default to AGM type and a slow charge. I chose this model because my tractor has a 100+ amp Group 31 battery, a car/pickup, and my trailer has a large deep cycle house battery where tenders just don't cut it.

I have to get something for my SS that has a Lithium battery, also. bang head

(edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:03:09 AM by ducpainter » Logged

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 06:56:17 PM »

I couldn't tell from the picture if it had buttons like mine.  Your's is all swoopy and aerodynamic... mine is just a black box.   Grin

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 03:24:54 AM »

I couldn't tell from the picture if it had buttons like mine.  Your's is all swoopy and aerodynamic... mine is just a black box.   Grin
It makes me wonder if they spent more on the case, and hidden switches, than the internals.

They have one at work like that. I used to have one that was kind of pewter and white. It was a great charger, although not very high amperage. It had a switch for 6 or 12V...that's it.

perspective

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »

Shopmate's multi-purpose charger:

My hella old charger and recent load-tester:

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »

https://www.ballistic-batteries.com/

Defunct...

perspective

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: