Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:53:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice Wanted for Prospective Monster Cafe Build  (Read 3070 times)
magner

« on: May 21, 2019, 06:01:03 PM »

Hey all! First time poster here and I'm coming from sohc4.net. I've currently got a 1976 CB550F cafe build that I love, but I'm considering a more modern cafe platform for my next bike, and the Ducati Monster seems perfect! They're very available for a good price, have great performance without being insanely sporty, compact and agile, and I absolutely love the trellis frame and monoshock.

The only major thing that I would want to customize is swapping the tank and seat, as I really prefer a classic silhouette and not the more bulbous appearance of the monster tank. I have seen plenty of custom monster cafe's that swap the tank, but I can't find any information about fitment. I don't want to custom fab a tank, but how much trouble and I getting myself into if I can find a classic tank like any of the attached inspiration photos? Or does anyone know of any classic looking tanks that would be a good fit? I don't mind fabricating a bit for mounting, but I learned on my CB550 how things always seem simple in theory... Also I prefer the pre-2010 monsters as they are aesthetically more simple; is there a year or model that is recommended as a good simple base for a cafe build? I'd really appreciate any advice in general on this prospective adventure! I have attached some of my favorite inspiration pics.

https://imgur.com/a/9ZBMAL3
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:09:00 PM by magner » Logged
scaudill

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:08:46 AM »

Here is a link to view some great Ducati projects.
https://waltsiegl.com/motorcycles/
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:09:10 AM »

And here's the link about the fuel tank info. The thread will answer some of your questions.
(You should read this thread first, before start looking for the tank that you like the "look".)
 http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=541.0

Unfortunately, fitting the tank from the different bike will be major project.
(You will have to spend some time and money.)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »

Use a SuperSport instead?

Often easier to create nice lines and maybe to find a good looking tank.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »

+1

Either 2nd or 3rd gen. 750 / 900 SS would make better platform for your project.

How early 90s SS looks like with fairing stripped out

3rd. gen stripped fairing, round single headlight. Relatively easy to do.

Just look around ...

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:34:02 PM »

I must admit, a 3rd generation SS is a good candidate for a tank replacement.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Wzed

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »

This one won the first (and only, I think) official Ducati Monster Challenge:

https://www.duccutters.com/flightcycles/HotrodM750/Originals/Hotrod_3317.jpg

It was built by a board member (Duck-Stew) who made a couple of other amazing Monsters.  If you have questions about turning a Monster into a Cafe, he's the guy to ask.  He had aspirations to take that build even further (the renderings were amazing), but never did as far as I can recall.

The only major thing that I would want to customize is swapping the tank and seat, as I really prefer a classic silhouette and not the more bulbous appearance of the monster tank.

As you can see in Stew's build, you can do a lot with paint to reshape the classic Monster tank lines; by using a two-tone paint scheme, he managed to make the tank appear smaller and give it a more uniform, less bulbous shape.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:34:11 PM by Wzed » Logged
magner

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:19:22 PM »

Those WSM Leggaro builds are absolutely perfect in terms of what my styling goals are (obviously I couldn't come close in terms of actual custom fabbing etc).

I was originally considering a 750ss or 900ss as a base platform as I do like the look naked much better, but they don't seem quite as cheap or available and might be too sporty for me Huh?. I will research more into them now, but what would make them a better candidate? Is it that they are carbureted and therefore require less specific tanks? Also I can't seem to find anywhere what the model year cutoffs are for gen 2 or 3, could someone help a ducati newbie out? Thanks a ton all!!
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:25:37 AM »

Roughly:

Gen1; hoop/851 style frame, '94-'01
Gen2; pushrod/SBK style frame, '02-'07
Gen3; S*R, 03'-'07
Gen4; 696, '08-

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
magner

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »

I must admit, a 3rd generation SS is a good candidate for a tank replacement.

Thanks! I’m digging the bikes in that range; seems easy enough to strip the fairings and put a round headlight on there. Could you elaborate on what might make the ss better for a tank swap than the monster? Cheers!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »

SS being better candidates usually relates to the frame angles - just looks better with a cafe tank and seat.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 03:59:35 PM »

~~~SNIP~~~
 Could you elaborate on what might make the ss better for a tank swap than the monster? Cheers!

Not really a fan of the 3rd gen SS tanks.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

magner

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 04:54:38 PM »

Not really a fan of the 3rd gen SS tanks.

Definitely agree. For me, the newer the uglier (just personal taste  Roll Eyes).

I would love to be able to use the 1990 style tank on one of the 3rd or 2nd gen bikes, anyone know what this would entail? I imagine there would be issues with fitting a fuel injected bike with a tank from a carbed bike, but what all would I be looking at having to do? (Apologies it’s not monster specific anymore!)
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 02:13:59 AM »

This one won the first (and only, I think) official Ducati Monster Challenge:

https://www.duccutters.com/flightcycles/HotrodM750/Originals/Hotrod_3317.jpg

It was built by a board member (Duck-Stew) who made a couple of other amazing Monsters.  If you have questions about turning a Monster into a Cafe, he's the guy to ask.  He had aspirations to take that build even further (the renderings were amazing), but never did as far as I can recall.

As you can see in Stew's build, you can do a lot with paint to reshape the classic Monster tank lines; by using a two-tone paint scheme, he managed to make the tank appear smaller and give it a more uniform, less bulbous shape.  

Still around. Re-working of the above bike never materialized.  '99&up SS bike can wear a '92-'98 tank if that suits your build.  I had a '92 tank on a '99 frame running an '03 1000 engine a few years ago...

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: