Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:33:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ECU Problems on early 2000 bikes.  (Read 1010 times)
Deerstones

« on: May 21, 2019, 09:55:24 AM »

My beautiful S4 is dead at the moment and I'm fairly sure its the ECU that's at fault.    Reading all the forums it seems like a common thing with the bikes built in the early 2000s.    Nobody seems to mention what actually kills them but someone mentioned  'The Ducati Spark of death' or something. 

I like to understand why stuff fails so I can try prevent it happening again, is it Reg/Rect failure that kills them?   
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »

Possibly.
If the R/R fails in 'runaway voltage' mode, which I've seen happen, it may get high enough to brick the ECU.
Dunno what that level is, alternator supplies 100+VAC so system can be exposed to that if the R/R really goes bad.

My '02 S4 is on it's 4th ECU in ~50k miles.

OEM unit lost the ignition coil output for the vertical cylinder.

2 FIM U59 units expired, I forget how they gave up.
Must point out that the 2nd unit was a no-cost warranty replacement from Duane at FIM for the 1st unit that gave up.
Their support was outstanding, and they're literally on the other end of the earth.

Currently has a MicroTec in it.
If that packs it in and I don't have any 5.9 style units, I'll do flatslides and an Ignitech.
Or one of the DIY injection kits.

I'm buying no more IAW 5.9 style units.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
jjake

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »

On my 900ie spark plugs last about 2000 miles. Then it starts to run bad and cutting spark. I just change the spark plugs and it runs fine again. Can it be ecu problem? Now i´m testing cheaper NGK DPR8EA-9 and for now it runs fine.

Monster 900 ie 2002
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:09:54 AM »

On my 900ie spark plugs last about 2000 miles. Then it starts to run bad and cutting spark. I just change the spark plugs and it runs fine again. Can it be ecu problem? Now i´m testing cheaper NGK DPR8EA-9 and for now it runs fine.

Start a seperate plug thread here in Tech.
What plugs were you previously using?

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
jjake

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:04:10 PM »

I was using previously NGK DCPR8E, these plugs worked fine that 2000 miles. Also tested DCPR8eix (iriduium) and DR9EA and these didn´t work at my bike. S4 and 900ie has different ecu, so problem isn´t same? Are there some link or thread about the ecu problem?

Monster 900 ie 2002
jjake

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 12:53:30 AM »

I was adjusting TPS sensor (I have changed it to new). I didn´t understand how to set it corretly by using multimeter but I adjusted it by setting it to the 0% throtte setting on the powercommander program screen. Is this near to correct?

Monster 900 ie 2002
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »

I was adjusting TPS sensor (I have changed it to new). I didn´t understand how to set it corretly by using multimeter but I adjusted it by setting it to the 0% throtte setting on the powercommander program screen. Is this near to correct?

I've never tried to do it that way, but it's a good bit better than just bolting it on.
Best to set it properly.
http://www.bikeboy.org/ducati4vthrottleb.html

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: