Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 06:35:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid Ride Shutdown with Oil Light!!!  (Read 4067 times)
Wrath of Jon

« on: May 14, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I just picked up my bike a 2004 Ducati Monster S4R with just over 4000 miles on it a couple weeks ago.

So, here's the whole story from then. Met the guy at a Casey's and took it for a small test ride and ran fine. Hopped on the bike and drove it home over an hour ride and it rode great. Next day I take it for another long ride and stopped to take cover from a rain cloud. Me being the ametuer that I am I looked at the oil site glass while it was on it's side stand and thought it was low, so I went and picked up a quart from a local store and filled it up putting it over the max level mark when vertical. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem here though. Because I took a looong ride home, dodging a rain storm took me hours out of the way and it rode fine the whole time.

Anywho, moving along with the story. After overfilling it I decided I'd wait to do an oil and filter change before riding it again oh and that oil mesh filter deal.

So turned the bike on and let it idle for a bit to warm it up
Drained the old oil out
removed the filter
removed the oil mesh filter and cleaned with some rubbing alcohol
replaced filter(after filling with new oil)
replaced oil mesh deal
topped off to max level line with new oil(Mobile 1 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil)
ran bike for a bit
re-topped of to max
proceeded to go for a ride and noticed the oil light come on maybe 10 miles or more down the road so I stopped
turned bike back on and light went off, turned around and started to head back(this whole time im pretty sure the light turned back on but was dim)
Light turned bright and engine shut off and now won't come back on

Any ideas?

2004 Ducati Monster S4R
Wrath of Jon

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:52:19 PM »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I just picked up my bike a 2004 Ducati Monster S4R with just over 4000 miles on it a couple weeks ago.

So, here's the whole story from then. Met the guy at a Casey's and took it for a small test ride and ran fine. Hopped on the bike and drove it home over an hour ride and it rode great. Next day I take it for another long ride and stopped to take cover from a rain cloud. Me being the ametuer that I am I looked at the oil site glass while it was on it's side stand and thought it was low, so I went and picked up a quart from a local store and filled it up putting it over the max level mark when vertical. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem here though. Because I took a looong ride home, dodging a rain storm took me hours out of the way and it rode fine the whole time.

Anywho, moving along with the story. After overfilling it I decided I'd wait to do an oil and filter change before riding it again oh and that oil mesh filter deal.

So turned the bike on and let it idle for a bit to warm it up
Drained the old oil out
removed the filter
removed the oil mesh filter and cleaned with some rubbing alcohol
replaced filter(after filling with new oil)
replaced oil mesh deal
topped off to max level line with new oil(Mobile 1 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil)
ran bike for a bit
re-topped of to max
proceeded to go for a ride and noticed the oil light come on maybe 10 miles or more down the road so I stopped
turned bike back on and light went off, turned around and started to head back(this whole time im pretty sure the light turned back on but was dim)
Light turned bright and engine shut off and now won't come back on

Any ideas?

Oh and by the way, I've tried the following obviously turning it off and trying to turn it back on again.
Also, I've added some oil to get it back to max fill line, it was above minimum.

Oh and also  bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head chug

2004 Ducati Monster S4R
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:00:34 PM »

I'll start with the I ain't taking any liability advice first.  You should first test your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to confirm you have good oil pressure.

Cold:
       Idle At least 2.5 BAR
       3500-4000 RPM  4-6 BAR

Hot:
       Idle  At least 1.1 BAR
       3500-4000RPM  4-6 BAR

Now for the most likely problem.  You probably have moisture in the connection to the oil pressure switch (by the oil fill cap).  Bike gets warm, water vapor forms, light comes on!  Remove the connector.  Dry both the connector and the sensor, preferably with compressed air.  Pack with dielectric grease.   Test ride.  Light off?   Dolph
Wrath of Jon

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »

Okay, so I tried the compressed air on it and added a spot of di-electric grease in between the connection and it still wont fire up for me.

At this point I've tried starting it so many times that I think I may be draining the battery a bit much. So I ordered a trickle charger which I'll need anyways and Ill pick up a multi-meter this weekend.

I thought about trying a new oil pressure switch and went to my local NAPA store and they had this https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHOP6613

Not sure if it'll work. I think the threads will allow it to fit, just don't know how to wire it. I'd have to strip the old wire back abit.....might be a bad idea?

Anyways before I try all that I'll definitely make sure I have a full charge on my battery lol

2004 Ducati Monster S4R
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 03:59:09 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, the S4R oil light circuit will not prevent the bike from starting/running.

I'm thinking something else is going on.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Wrath of Jon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 04:27:18 PM »

Yes I do. Also I don't have a pressure guage to test the oil pressure. Plus I think the bike has to be able to run to check the pressure.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:05:15 PM by Wrath of Jon » Logged

2004 Ducati Monster S4R
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:19:57 PM »

Since the bike started before you are probably correct that you ran the battery down.  It takes a lot of amps to crank a big twin.  That NAPA unit has way to low a pressure rating and might or might not fit.   Nor will the weathertight connector fit properly.  A rating that low is like running no light. It is rated at 2-6 PSI.  1.1 BAR is about 16 PSI.  A Volkswagen sender will fit. Make sure the pressure rating is high enough.  Better yet, get the correct one from your dealer or on line from Ducati Omaha. 

If the light still comes on do not operate the bike until proper oil pressure is confirmed!

Wrath of Jon

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »

Ok so I sprayed out the condensation from the oil pressure sensor and applied Dielectric grease to it recharge the battery and tried to start and still no luck

I have the service manual and it said to turn the bike on and short out the electrical connection from the pressure sensor to ground and if the light comes on the sensor is bad

The light came on so I'm assuming the sensors bad I guess my next step is to order an actual replacement sensor?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

2004 Ducati Monster S4R
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »

All that test shows is the sensor did not close the circuit.  Pressure needs to be checked with a gauge as I said a few replies ago.
Wrath of Jon

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 06:54:20 AM »

Yeah but the bike won't even start so there won't be any pressure

2004 Ducati Monster S4R
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »

The oil pressure light has nothing to do with your no start situation.  You need to fix the no start situation first.  Symptoms?  How is the cranking speed?  Does the fuel pump prime?  Do the gauges sweep?  Just for a beginning.
Wrath of Jon

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »

Took a video

2004 Ducati Monster S4R
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »

All I can tell from the video is cranking speed sounds good and gauges sweep.  Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on?  Got spark?  Fuel pressure?  You need a gauge for that.  You might want to inspect the in tank fuel lines for leaks.  You might have a loose connection or a hose failure.  Also check that the hoses are hooked up correctly.
Wrath of Jon

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 10:13:53 PM »

Isnt that the fuel,pump in the beginning of the video?

Yeah I'm starting to think it might be fuel related too

2004 Ducati Monster S4R
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »

Could be, I couldn't hear with the other noises.  If you heard it that is fine.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: