Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 07:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 695 - LED turn signal problem  (Read 1880 times)
OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« on: May 11, 2019, 04:12:05 PM »

I have a 2007 Monster 695.  I have stock turn signals but swapped out the incandescent bulbs to LED bulbs awhile back. No problems, all good.   

Then the front left turn signal would stop working from time to time.  I swapped the LED bulb out to a new LED bulb, cleaned all connectors and this didn't help.  After the riding for like 15 minutes the turn signal would start blinking.   When trouble shooting at this point I popped in an incandescent bulb and the turn signal worked fine. The LED bulb is fine because I rotated the bulbs around.

Since with the initial swap out, I have had zero issues with the other three LED turn signal bulbs. 

Now the front turn signal only blinks while I am riding at freeway speed and the RPMs are at 5000.  Dip below 5k and no blinking. 

When idle and parked and the signal is engage I can see a faint blinking so there is current but the rear LED bulb blinks very fast as does the signal indicator on the dash board.

Before I switch back to incandescent bulbs, hopefully they still work, I am hoping you all might have insight as to what is the issue is.

Could it be an issue with the loom?  Bad turn signal housing? Relay?

2007 Monster 695 (153,000+ miles)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 04:19:28 PM »

Could it be an issue with the loom?  Bad turn signal housing? Relay?

Could be the loom or relay, but hopeully is the housing or connector to it. Swap housings?

Worst case: ride with one bulb ...   can you tell any difference standing 100 feet away in daylight?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »

Thanks.  I might have a spare housing around to try this trouble shooting step.

I am not sure I follow the 100ft away question.  But during the day on coming traffic cannot see any blinking light if I want to turn left.  For now, I still engage the blinker for traffic behind me but use hand signal for on coming traffic.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 11:42:07 PM »

I just wanted your observation of the two lights compared. If the difference isn't too bad .... doesn't matter if you ride with one bulb and three LEDs.

You don't actually need another housing for the test. You can just switch the wires by the connectors behind the headlight. Same problem on the same side = housing problem. Same problem moved to the other side = loom or relay.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 11:46:20 PM by stopintime » Logged

OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »

great suggestion about swapping connectors to see if the problem switches sides!!!  i will give it a try later this week when i have time.

I have thought about the one and three set up.  the LED bulbs are definitely brighter, but I don't think as much of a game changer when I switched my tail light and headlight to LEDs.  Much better front vision at night and having the brighter tail light increased my visibility for traffic behind me.

PaydayGabe

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 02:48:43 PM »

Afternoon folks, ,
  Not trying to steal this thread,,
my issue is LED related also.
   01 M750,  28k + miles.
 Replaced the turn signals and relay/flasher (Novita EP-35).
The system is operational;  L/R flash as it should until, , ,  I connect the instrument panel (clocks) .   
   With the clocks attached,  when I activate the turn switch either L or R
I get a flashing 4 way system.

I serviced the instrument panel w/ fresh bulbs that all tested good.
 I verified continuity through all the wiring in the panel.
Once assembled and installed the issue still persists.  4 way flashing.  So,, I'm stuck....
  Anything else I may have missed?
This problem has my project stalled at the moment.
   Help please.   PaydayGabe in beautiful Boulder City Nv...
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 08:46:57 PM »

Re install the OEM flasher.  If everything works now except for the blink rate being too fast your problem is that flasher,  So try another electronic flasher or go with resisters.  Getting a compatible flasher is a bit of a crap shoot.
PaydayGabe

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 10:43:45 AM »

Thanks Howie, ,
  The original flasher does nothing.
The new flasher(Novita EP-35) is LED compatible. It gives me the proper flash rate.
   Until I plug in the clocks.  Then it goes 4 way,,   as in 4 lamps flashing at the same time.  bang head IDK?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »

Maybe the bulb in the instrument disturbs the flasher.

PaydayGabe

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »

IDK?  Possibly. 
   With the clocks installed,,  the turn indicator lamp does nothing. Zero/ zip.
As mentioned,,  everything tested good.
 The bulbs,  clock harness, Headlamps and the switch.   The new flasher relay is fine. A nice audible clicking sound.
    I have the fuel sender attached to the harness minus the tank.  It shows no continuity when tested,  which tells me the sender is junk.
    My volt meter shows 11.35 volts at the harness connector when ignition switch is activated.  Continuity when switched off.
  The PO did a bypass on the kick stand switch years ago...  if that means anything?
  This bike is in reasonably good condition,,,
It can't be that difficult to figure out. . .
   Help me out before I take it to the shop.
   Please.   Thanks again for the assistance.
PaydayGabe

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 09:05:08 AM »

Morning folks,  ,
   My OCD got the best of me,  Again.
Back into the clocks,  Again.
Check wiring, ,  good.
Check main connector plug, , good.
Check main wiring Harness at the steering neck, ,  good also.
  All the bulbs are functional except the turn indicator and fuel sender(this function is disabled) as the float has failed.

So I started checking power to the indicators circuit and do the wiggle test to those tiny bulbs .
 With the turn indicator bulb in place,  I get the 4 way issue but it doesn't blink.
Gently remove the bulb and I get a working turn signal  L&R.   Really!  This FREAKING little bulb!  I think you nailed it Stopintime.
  The original bulbs were  12v / 1.2w from the factory.  I replaced these w/ 12v / 1.7w I think,  as it was all that was available at the parts store.
  The Hi beam and neutral indicators operate fine,   but this turn bulb does nothing off its socket.   Out comes the meter, Again and I have flashing voltage at the socket. 
The bulb tested good straight off the battery.

Here's  the question??    Could the minor wattage change really effect the system that much???   
   As mentioned, , the new turn signal system is LED w/ LED compatible flasher.

I'm traveling to town today and going to the Dealership for the proper wattage bulbs.  Hopefully this will resolve this issue.
  Please reply with your thoughts or suggestions.   Thanks again and ride safe everyone.   G in BCNV.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »

Yes.  That is why I mentioned the resisters.
PaydayGabe

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »

So, , my final post on this subject.

Went through as much of the harness as I felt comfortable with.  No issues found 🤷‍♂️.
Tested everything possible in the turn signal circuit.  No issues.
Still have the 4 way flashing with the complete circuit. 
   Remove the turn indicator bulb in the clocks and the turn indicators flash normally L & R.   
  I'm eliminating that bulb.  I see no other alternative. . . 
  Thanks again for the replies.   
   Moving on.    G.👍
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: