Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 04:49:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 695 - Numerous Engine Error Codes... RESOLVED (Sort of)  (Read 2659 times)
Red89

« on: May 08, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »

Hello, all.

I was wondering if anyone might be willing to help me troubleshoot my bike. (Please!)

Shortly after reflashing the ECU with a new map, it occurred to me that I still needed to reset TPS and adaptation as well. I know this was a stupid oversight but the bike ran far better than before without having done this. Only exception being a fairly poor idle RPM.
After the necessary resets, my engine light came on and the idle was, believe it or not, even Worse. I reset the TPS once more and idle speed was far better and the throttle far more responsive. Okay... Reset the engine light and error codes.

It came back 5 minutes into my next ride. What's more, she was getting HOT fast. We're talking 185F in 10 minutes, with an ambient temperature of 50F. Yikes!

So, I plugged my bike into my diagnostics tool and it brought back numerous error codes.

As follows:
P0105 - Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) Barometric Pressure Sensor Electrical Circuit Problem
P0110 -  Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction
P0115 -  Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Makes little sense on my air-cooled bike)

After telling them this readout, my local shop have told me that it is "probably" my MAP sensor. Then they also told me that it might not be, so would have to do a thorough inspection before replacing it. All I kept hearing was CHA-CHING and the sound of my wallet emptying. Even worse, they can only take a proper look in a month's time. This won't do, I ride my bike everywhere.

I cleaned the contacts to the MAP on both sides, both directly from the MAP sensor and further down the cable where it attaches to the rest of the wiring.

My only theory is that the adaptation which was applied to the ECU was masking whatever underlying issue this may be. What can I do to resolve?

Thanks for taking the time to read my topic.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:55:02 AM by Red89 » Logged

greenohawk69

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »

What about removing the reflash and see what happens then, ensuring you don't forget performing all neccessary steps.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Red89

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »

Thanks for your fast response! That is one thing I have not tried, obvious as it may seem. Did not occur to me that a poor fuel map cause these error codes.

Red89

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »

Alright, just tried it. Same issue I'm afraid...

greenohawk69

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »

How much is the MAP? Might just change that.

Just recently had a "mixture" issue with my car (BMW) and cleaned the MAF. Didn't work. Replaced with new MAF - initially did not work, but drove it for 30+ miles before ECU apparently reset and new MAF was installed.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Red89

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »

Just bought one for 58 euros. Dealer wanted 70 euros (79USD) for one, so I still came out on top. Grin

These guys love making a markup on parts. I remember going to them for a quote on some new belts and a tyre. They wanted 160 euros for a Diablo II, I got a Diablo III for 120. They also wanted 150 for belts, I found them for 99. Bet these guys hate the Internet!

I digress. My MAP sensor will be here in 3 days, so I might be able to update with some good news by then...

Glad you got your Beamer fixed!!

Red89

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 12:35:24 PM »

And thanks for keeping me company on this harrowing journey. Haha  chug

Edit: Just out of interest, you think there's some substance to my theory of the adaptation reset exposing the MAP fault?

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »

On my bike they call the oil temperature sensor on the valve inspection cover "coolant temperature sensor" (IIRC)

The two other are in the same gadget, behind the headlight(?)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
greenohawk69

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »

Alright, just tried it. Same issue I'm afraid...
So when you removed the reflash - you also did the TPS reset, as well as the adaptation? Did you run the bike? How long? And the codes did not clear?

Red89

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 12:03:20 AM »

On my bike they call the oil temperature sensor on the valve inspection cover "coolant temperature sensor" (IIRC)

The two other are in the same gadget, behind the headlight(?)

Good to know! I will clean the sensor cable and see if that clears this error. Thanks for the hint!

The gadget you're referring to is the very MAP sensor that is suspected to be faulty. I should find out in a few days once the new one arrives.

Red89

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 12:11:28 AM »

So when you removed the reflash - you also did the TPS reset, as well as the adaptation? Did you run the bike? How long? And the codes did not clear?

That is correct, re-flash and all resets.

I then ran the bike for approximately 10 minutes on a short ride through my neighbourhood.
From my understanding, the codes do not clear automatically, so I took the liberty of clearing them again prior to this test run. Unfortunately the very same codes returned. I left it as is, just to see if the behaviour would improve.

This morning, I actually thought the issue might be resolved. When I stepped on the bike today to come to work it was behaving quite well, though making much less power with the original map on it.

Then it cut out at the lights and was very hard to start up again... So still ongoing.

Red89

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 10:34:42 AM »

So, here we are again.

The MAP sensor arrived and has been fitted. The other day, I also cleaned and re-seated the oil temperature sensor.

I checked (and cleared) the error codes after each step throughout the process of the sensor replacement this evening. As below:

Pre-fitting Error Codes:
P0105
P0110
P0115
P0351 (This is a new one: Ignition Coil 1 - Circuit Malfunction)

Post-fitting Error Codes:
P0351

Post-test ride Error Codes:
P0105
P0110
P0115

As you can see, the error codes after the test ride are identical to my original post. Arghhhh  bang head
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:36:36 AM by Red89 » Logged

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »

It might be a good idea to get the bike to a shop where they can read live data.  You might actually have mechanical problem or something fuel related that is not electronic.
Red89

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Howie. I spent a long time cleaning and re-seating connectors prior to the arrival of the sensor, so I am starting to doubt this is an electronics issue as well (or maybe a very deep-rooted one that I can't tackle myself). Sucks, I thought I got a good deal on this bike but I'm starting to wonder if I might have a money pit in my garage.

I do have an appointment booked at a local mechanic but unfortunately it's in over 3 weeks' time. I'm willing to try whatever I can to not have to wait: I'm a little hesitant to go on long rides at the moment, as you can imagine. Though if I have no choice but to sit this one out, then that's just what it is.

Really appreciate your input!

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 01:51:04 PM »

Have you physically checked the wiring? If there is a small nick on the insulation, you could have a short since the insulation is at least 10yrs old so it could be "dry".
While you wait for your appointment, lift the tank, take the seat off, and check all the wiring; if you think the insulation is "dry", use a little or use to taste, WD40 to "re-hidrate" the insulation and for a longer lasting effect, use some lubricant[yes, of that kind] and then some WD40 to seal.

The coil error, P0351, think of it as a little age on the component, I wished I had the service manual for you model at hand and send it to you, but, should be the same part as other Monsters except DS models; also, could you let us know which spark plugs are you using?

For your P0115, I would check wiring and if all is OK, then replace the temp sensor.

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: