Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 03:32:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: long time lurker, first time poster  (Read 1014 times)
triplemushroom

« on: July 05, 2019, 12:28:49 PM »

hey,

my name is chris, i live in queens, and I've got a 2001 m750 (carbed)

First, i just want to thank eveyrone here cause I used to be a big time lurker and got a ton of super helpful info from you all, so thanks!!

Anyway, I'm about to post some stuff in the classifieds bc owning a motorcycle while in law school has basically exhausted my savings and I can no longer afford to keep one in NYC.  It's ridiculously expensive because you can't park on the street-- bike is bound to be stolen or knocked over before long -- and garage fees are now upwards of $250 / mo.  Just cannot swing that while I'm in school and not working full time.

As many of you probably can relate, I got carried away and spent irrational amounts of money upgrading my m750.... I know many people are probably wondering why on earth anyone would pour a bunch of money into a carbed monster that isn't even a 900....wellllll:

The first bike I ever rode was a 2006 m695 my dad got when I was 18; He didn't use it much (just did all the maintenance haha), but I rode the hell outta that thing when I was home from school during the summers, and loved ever single second of it.   He sold it when I moved to NYC permanently, which was kinda a bummer but understandable.  I couldn't afford to insure it or garage it anyway so...

Anyway, a few years ago I finally got a job that provided me with some disposable income, and knew I wanted to blow it on a bike... given my past experience and the glut of monsters on the market, a monster was the obvious choice and I did basically no research haha.  TBH, at the time, I didn't even know what the difference between a carb and a fuel injector was, or what purpose they served....  Huh?  Embarrassed

First week I had it, someone knocked it over and it lay on its side all day while I was at work.  Carbs flooded with gas, etc etc... I didn't have much money left having just bought, registered, and insured the bike so I decided to fix it myself.... (thank you ducatisuite and forums)  I removed, disassembled, and rebuilt the carbs, and was hooked from there on.

Over the next couple years, I put on vortex clip ons, new chain and sprockets, Gecko rearsets, GPR high-mount mufflers (second time the bike was knocked over, it put a nasty hole in one of the tail pipes), 748 super bike forks, IMA triple clamps, MWR air filter, and an oberon clutch slave.... yep, pretty dumb way to waste a bunch of money, but I really enjoyed riding and improving the bike.  I'm just thankful I never pulled the trigger on a set of $1600 kiehin FCR carbs.

Thennn I pretty much ran outta money.  Also, last summer I got hit head-on by a van while I was working as a bike messenger (idiot who decided to get to the front of the line of cars stopped at the light by driving down the oncoming lane), and I've been pretty reluctant to get back on a motorcycle in the city since then.  If I woulda been riding a moto at the time, doing 30 mph instead of 15, I would have been COOKED.  bacon bacon bacon

Anyway, if you've got a classic monster and you're interested in a bitubo rear shock, carbon fiber rear mudguard (aka fender), or ignitech TCIP-4 unit, keep a look out in the classifieds.  Bought them all but had to change my garage membership from all-access to a storage basis ($$$) before I could install them.

Thanks again for creating such a cool and informative community; wish I'd been an active part of it, but I always felt like I had too much to learn and not much to contribute.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:32:42 PM by triplemushroom » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »

Welcome and hope you're back on two wheels soon chug

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: