Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:27:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2001 M750 carb - need bolt that screws into emulsion tube  (Read 928 times)
justin-branam

« on: May 06, 2019, 07:28:40 PM »

Finally got my rebuild kit, and everything was going great.... up until the point that one of the hex head bolts that screws into the end of the emulsion tube was stuck so good, that it sheared off. I had continually sprayed it with PB blaster, wd-40, etc, with no luck. What's done is done m, so long story short, I need a replacement. Know where I can find one? I noticed it appeared hollow. Does this matter? If not, can I just replace it with a regular brass bolt? Anybody know what size it would be?

Image here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gC9gbuHHkzSyYN1Ij64gkhro3LMsB0yU/view?usp=drivesdk
justin-branam

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 01:30:35 PM »

I think I may have found a fix. Since it does not appear that the bolt is anything special (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), I was able to find a brass flathead bolt the same size, on a dusty shelf, in the back corner of my local hardware store  Grin. The threads are 10-32 in case anyone else is wondering. Can anyone confirm one way or the other if this is a viable solution or not? I got two screws, as I want to make sure both carbs are exactly the same.

Image is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LJrztEolA7NKvsADo5FZi5zkqsHNDv9U
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 02:47:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure those screws need to be hollow to allow for needle clearance at closed throttle.

Thread is M5x0.8.

1992 Yamaha TDM850 ran the same carbs, I think 1HX-14565-00-00 is the part number, check with the Yammie dealer.

Powerbarn or other aftermarket carb parts boys may have em.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »

I think Nick is correct about the reason, so the hollowing doesn't need to be rocket science, or military contract tolerance.

A resourceful guy would hollow out the hardware store bolts. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

justin-branam

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »

You guys are correct! Just found out about the needles by trial and error, haha! I also have some good drill bits amd machinery at work. I'll give it a go, but if it doesn't work out, that part number looks like a winner. Thank you very much for the info!!!
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »

For limited length of engagement, and non-structural, 10-32 and M5x0.8 can be interchanged.

Suspecting that you bought nice nickel plated emulsion tubes.... I'd say run a M5x0.8 die over your 10-32 screws if they don't play well.

If you've got the desire and the equipment, give it a go!

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
NGL_BrSH

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 04:00:27 AM »

I literally did this yesterday.

Definitely M5x0.8.

I really wanted to make mine out of brass because it's softer than Aluminum. Unfortunately I had trouble finding a donor brass bolt/rod.  If you make the bolt out of steel you run the risk of damaging the Aluminum if you cross thread of don't thread the bolt correctly.
Don't forget some washers or o-rings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: