Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 12:28:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 1200S - Radiator fans activating turns on check engine light  (Read 1691 times)
Anonimar

« on: May 03, 2019, 05:21:55 PM »

I own a 2014 Monster 1200S with 9k miles.

I noticed a weird situation where when my radiator fans turn on (when engine temp is around 220F), the second they activate both the 'stop light' and 'engine light' turn on my dash (I've circled both of them):

The STOP LIGHT indicator is for when your brake light isn't working - however the brake light still works fine. And the engine is running fine as well.

Those two indicators stay on for the rest of the ride, even when the fans go back off. It's not until I do a hard power off that they will clear. If I go an entire ride without the fans kicking in, those indicators will never turn on.

Any ideas on why my radiator fans activating is causing those indicators to turn on? It seems like some sort of false positive?
Anonimar

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »

I might have actually found the solution while browsing google:

"Motodynamic.com Product Safety Notice: 2014-2015 Ducati Monster 821/1200 LED Tail Lights

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that we just discovered a compatibility issue with our LED tail light software and the Ducati Monster computer software. We believe there is a bug in the Ducati software that interferes with the operation of our light in most, if not all, of the Ducati Monster 821 and 1200 models. The issue occurs when the bike?s water temperature reaches 217° F (~103° C) and the fan kicks on while the brakes are pressed. Your dash will display a ?Stop Light? error code and it will place your brake lights into fault mode. In fault mode your brake lights will flash once and no longer work until you key off and on the bike after the temperature has dropped.

As a safety precaution we highly recommend that you uninstall our tail light. We have already found a fix for the issue and are currently producing a plug and play module to make our tail light compatible with the Ducati software. We estimate it will be completed within 3 weeks and we will ship, at our expense, the solution to all the affected parties.

We have made it a priority to get this issue corrected as soon as possible so you can continue to enjoy our products on your motorcycle. We will update you again once it has shipped out.

If you have changed your shipping address since the last time you placed the order please respond to this email with your order number and updated address.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

The previous owner has what appears to be a motodynamic taillight installed on my bike, and that above notice they sent out seems to describe what I'm describing in my original post. I'll try reaching out to them about that plug and play solution. If this is the fix I'm going to be SO HAPPY!
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »

Wow, excellent.

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:01:04 PM »

Good detective work!
Heath

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »

Pretty sweet that they are working toward taking care of it. Be sure to leave this thread up in case anyone else has the same issue.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Stuka Pilot

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »

Interesting that the tail light manufacturer cites a Ducati bug, then goes on to say they are fixing the issue.

Ultimately it does not matter as long as it gets fixed, but rather disingenuous for an aftermarket provider to criticise the OEM when it comes to compatibility!
Heath

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:30:13 AM »

Interesting that the tail light manufacturer cites a Ducati bug, then goes on to say they are fixing the issue.

Ultimately it does not matter as long as it gets fixed, but rather disingenuous for an aftermarket provider to criticise the OEM when it comes to compatibility!
I kind of get what they are saying though. Why should just changing a taillight throw codes.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: