Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:02:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2001 M750 carb rebuild questions - using acetone  (Read 862 times)
justin-branam

« on: April 29, 2019, 03:17:31 PM »

So life happens. My poor M750 sat untouched for the past 2 years. I am now gettig her back up and running. Tried turning the throttle and it was basically stuck. The carbs are so caked with laquer from the fuel, that the flapper disks (whatever they are called), are almost stuck closed. I got a rebuild kit on order since the bowl gaskets are pretty hard. I also have a gallon of acetone standing by. My main question is, how far do I need to take the carb apart before it is safe to soak in acetone? How long do I soak it? I am told the acetone will eat rubber, so I would think every gasket and o-ring would need to be removed first? What about the brass jets?

This is my first time rebuilding a carb, so bear with me. If there are any in depth how to's that go into immense detail, please let me know where, as all of the search tools and google have failed me thus far. I have included a picture of the carbs with the bowls removed, for your viewing pleasure.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QrAytKt9kJLGQpihcrHNcIRzP5HNsxcY

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »

Acetone won't hurt the metal parts, but it definitely will toast any rubber, and some plastics.

I've never used acetone on carbs. Where did you hear about this method?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »

+1 Dont trust acetone with any rubber or plastic parts, they could vaporize. Buy a couple of cans of carb cleaner, some chemical resistant gloves and clean with a toothbrush and rags. Some carb cleaners are harsh so ask the vendor if they are suitable for rubber diaphragms, plastic slides, etc. The pilot or main jets may be glued up and require flossing with carb cleaning wire (similar to welding tip cleaning wire, but size calibrated to cause no harm), Motion Pro might make a tool iirc. Maybe take the carbs to a shop with a sonic cleaner, a hot rod or classic car workshop will know what to do. Maybe there is a sponsor near you to help and set up the carbs .

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »

Take lots of pics as you go. Pay careful attention to the orientation of parts. Write notes too. Carbs are more complex than efi and require a delicate touch, so be gentle and precise.
Haynes and Desmotimes manuals are a good combo.
Remove the jets and spray lots of carb cleaner into any passages and  compress air flush. Scrub parts with a toothbrush and liberal amounts of carb cleaner. Soak the jets and floss em if required. Now is the time to replace your stock brass needle jet/emulsion tubes if they have ovaling. Factory Pro needle jets are nickle plated and last longer. How many miles?
Main jet retainers may need a rebend into place to stop the main jets wiggling around. Fresh main jet o rings help. Dont over tighten parts. Float level is 14mm.
Careful with the thin o rings under the slide guides/frames as they can rip and are harder to find. Dont miss the tiny o ring under the carb caps.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenmonster

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 06:32:50 AM »

Follow koko`s advice.
Do one carb, then the other, the other as refrence.
http://www.ducatisuite.com/jetkit.html

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: