Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 02:15:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shims 4v and 2v  (Read 2397 times)
RB

« on: April 16, 2019, 04:30:43 AM »

Hey guys,
My son just bought an 06 S4R (14k miles on the clocks) that is in need of valve check service and I've never owned a 4v Desmo, but done a bit of work on a few 2v engines. I noticed on the EMSDUC site that 4v and 2v are sold in different kits even though they are 7mm shims, are they different shims?
Another question, what is everyone running for valve shim service intervals, IIRC, 2006 service should be every 7,500miles, but I beleive my buddies new 821 Monster is 15k miles....does that sound right? I know that as the engine gets older the shim changes should decrease, I've seen this on my 06 S2R at 36k miles now.

Thanks for the help
RB

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »

Wouldn't the 4V kit have more shims of the same size because there are more valves?

I think the shims for all 7 mm valves are the same.

Speeddog could confirm.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

RB

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »

That’s what I would think, but never bought a kit. Hopefully speedgog will respond. I’m going to find my spare shims and check them against the 4v ones we pull off the S4R.

RB

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11:08 PM »

Ok guys we just pulled a shim off the 2006 S4R and they are a smaller diameter than my 06 S2R 800 shims. The S4R has 6mm shims.

EEL

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »

You dont want to buy a kit. Thats for dealerships. Get the shims you want instead. Once you know that size of the shims, order accordingly. Otherwise you just pay for shims you'll never use.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »

'06 S4R has 7mm shims, '06 S2R800 will have 8mm shims.

Ducati changed the outside profile of the 7mm closers for the Gen2 TestaStretta, either kind will fit fine on all the other 7mm stuff.

Setting Desmoquattro valve clearances is the same concept as the 2-valvers, but the hardware and procedures are quite different.

2-valvers and desmoquattros, 6k miles IMO.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
RB

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 05:16:30 AM »

'06 S4R has 7mm shims, '06 S2R800 will have 8mm shims.

Ducati changed the outside profile of the 7mm closers for the Gen2 TestaStretta, either kind will fit fine on all the other 7mm stuff.

Setting Desmoquattro valve clearances is the same concept as the 2-valvers, but the hardware and procedures are quite different.

2-valvers and desmoquattros, 6k miles IMO.
Thanks for the info.
Now to really muck things up...
EMS claims that using the MBP retainers/collets on the closers will extend the valve checking by almost twice the interval.
Anyone have any experience on this? I put the collets on the S2R last year and haven't put 6k miles on the clock yet.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 07:21:32 AM »

Thanks for the info.
Now to really muck things up...
EMS claims that using the MBP retainers/collets on the closers will extend the valve checking by almost twice the interval.
Anyone have any experience on this? I put the collets on the S2R last year and haven't put 6k miles on the clock yet.

New split rings used in the OEM system hammer in pretty quickly, MBP eliminates that.
RB

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 07:57:25 AM »

New split rings used in the OEM system hammer in pretty quickly, MBP eliminates that.
What is considered new? The '06 S4R had scheduled maintenance done and two of the closer shims on the horizontal exhaust side were 'difficult' to remove to say the least. Pretty sure we over spent our quota for expletives this year getting them out...haha. On my 06' S2R, i've never had this issue.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 08:31:54 AM »

New means both when the bike was built and, when replaced either because they cracked (not uncommon) or routinely replaced.  The rracked split ring will perform fine but once removed to replace a shim it must be replaced. 
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »

Some 7mm closer shims seem to be a bit smaller ID, and snap fit over the halfrings.
Mostly a PITA.

If the engine's run loose it can hammer the edge of the closer and the edge of the valve stem groove, opener can walk around and make a burr on the stem as well.

I've got a set of 8mm MBP's in my M750, put in at.....

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
RB

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »

My MBPs were put in at 50,000 and replaced at 160,000 and 170,000 km because they made it difficult to fit new shims when needed.

Every 12,000 km service have required one or more new shims - even with MBPs.

This is a highly tuned engine that 'occasionally' gets flogged. The engine builder described the MBPs as a help to MAYBE stay close'ish to factory service intervals. My own guess is that you'd have to ride very soft, few cold starts a.s.o. to double intervals...

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 02:38:21 PM »

I've got a set of 8mm MBP's in my M750, put in at.....

.....26k miles, bike is at 58k now

1st valve check at 38k it had gained 0.003" on 3 closers, almost none on the last one.
Gettin a bit hard to start, so likely needs re-shimming now at 20k.

Caveat; it may only be a 750, but I don't flog it hard.

So, it's 1 (one) modestly useful data point.

I think it's mostly valve seat/valve face wear, which the MBP's can't help much with.
By holding clearance longer, that helps all by itself, but that's all.

The MBP collets are way way easier to handle, and they only go in one way.
From those points, they crush the OEM collets.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: