Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 05:20:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition Tuning. Ignitech and Pick Ups for Carbed 900  (Read 1582 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« on: April 11, 2019, 09:23:18 PM »

My notes and oem manual are in storage due to an impending relocation.  bang head I cant remember the oem ignition pick ups location on a carbed M900. Anyone have notes and can point out the pos-n in relation to any case markings?

Dim recollection of adjustment nuts dead centre of each adjustment slot on the pick up carrier bracket for oem pos-n. If anyone can confirm that would be great.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 03:15:15 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 10:24:09 PM »

When I changed pick ups in the past I marked location before removing.  You still need to worry about air gap.  Can't find my 900 manual, but send me your real email and I can scan from my  Haynes manual.  Directions for static timing should work.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:35:32 PM »

Thanks. I always mark the pos-n on my jobs, but these were set by someone else on a swapped 944 motor, so that has thrown me. Im guessing retarded 3 deg from the look of things and from the timing light test. I want to back to stock to suit my Ignitech map of choice. I'll email you waytogo
Cheers

2015 Scrambler 800
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 08:11:27 AM »

I recall the same 'center of the slot' as how they are.

My M900 manuals at hand just say flywheel dots line up with trigger hashmarks at H cyl TDC.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 10:13:21 AM »

GLW said I have an email.. waytogo
Ah, I did remember correctly, that confirms it. Tongue
Thanks fellas. Good to have mates, wherever they are.

Right now all my manuals and note books are in tubs at some distance. Looking forward to my new location that's for sure.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 03:28:08 AM »

Fresh pick ups and sub loom for the old girl waytogo. Secure trustworthy wiring is a good thing. I set the timing and did the triple static cross check and then again with a strobe light using the oem Kokusan igniters. A good base line for adjusting the Ignitech unit. 

Thanks fellas for refreshing my memory and emailing the manual pages. Been quite a few years.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:47:04 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 02:33:35 AM »

This is what you need (see below).

You download the tuning software for your model unit ( V75, V80 or V88), and cable driver software from the Ignitech site. You then read the map and base settings in the unit and alter it as required. I will be adjusting my base advance because I have reset new pick up coils to the oem position. I will make a few adjustments using previous data for a little less smoothness and a lot more snap in throttle response. With a machined flywheel, richer jetting and some more advance in parts of the curve I am aiming for a more aggressive power delivery. Clearly I miss my Evo.

https://cplonline.com.au/unitek-usb2-db9m-02-1-5m-usb-2-0-to-db9m-serial-adapter.html?fbclid=IwAR2-4gdy1yd9FrLxcXZu8TMbHM30m2JzYx-PQ9mjyYj4olzssQN718DtzYM

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »

Got a mates super laptop to do some Ignitech tuning. Discovered a crew in NZ called Fastbikesgear who have developed a detailed manual for the Ignitech, I'll grab one for sure. They seem to be old school tuners and frontier innovators and customisers in the Antipodean tradition.

I've noticed another change in some brands of local 98 RON fuel, more volitile and responsive that runs cleaner and leaner with more response but noticeably less economy. Another major brand gives great range but is so "dense" it makes the bike feel flat and lumpy with richer plugs. One brand has an emphasis on upper cylinder lubricants and the other on detergents to clean the top end and fuel system of IE vehicles. There is a needle notch and pilot jet size between the two fuel companies brands of 98. It's noticeable on injected bikes but very obvious on statically tuned carbed bikes. The faster fuel runs leaner and I can sense when riding it is more prone to pinging, I will have to take this into account with my ignition tuning.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 10:54:55 PM »

Used my baseline hi comp map with a little extra advance down low running through the gears as much as I could without pinging on 98 RON. Picked up some acceleration through the gears and rolling on from 40-60 mph. Added advance at a few rpm points and backed it off a degree or two when the resonance through the bike became tinny and response dulled. A "heavier" brand fuel did not allow me to use another extra degree or two so I reached the limit and left a margin.
It took a few hours to sort out what was what between the effects of ignition and fuelling changes, but the bike is very responsive for what it is now. I dont think I can get more out of it without fitting a TPS (and then going 944 with bigger valves).

I removed slack in the accelerator pump activation with some wound up safety wire filling the elongated hole above the pushrod. This removed a delay in pump action that I have seen before. A little more pilot jet fuel also helped. Some fine tuning of the idle mixture screws also smoothed out low speed throttle transitions using the ignitech software to watch rpm stutter in real time. Very useful.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:05:29 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 01:35:36 AM »

Oh dear. They made it too easy. Grin
http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12093

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: