Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 04:05:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tablet that works / acts like a pc?  (Read 1375 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« on: April 11, 2019, 08:25:26 AM »

I would like a tablet that can browse to a specific folder on the network and open word or excel type files from that folder.  Id also like to be able to create those file types and save them back on the network as well as take photos and store them on the network.

I've been told the Surface tablets can do PC type things but I have not been able to find any written or youtube data that for sure confirms that.

What we're looking to do is store setup sheets for all our jobs at the shop on a server (otherwise known as my computer at the shop)  I'm envisioning all the guys having tablets that they can browse to a specific customer folder, then part number and access documented setup info direct on the tablet.

If they're doing a new job, they need to be able to create setup info, take pics and store it on the network in folders created by the tablet remotely.

Can the surface do that?  Is there another tablet that could do that?

I want to get away from hand written notes or notes in people's heads.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »

Just an interested bystander popcorn

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »

Why not go to the Microsoft site and chat with one of their people and find out?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »

Why not go to the Microsoft site and chat with one of their people and find out?

Hell of an idea right there.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:05:53 PM »

My shop lappys have always been cheap units.
Figuring that they are likely to die of blunt force trauma or poisoning sooner rather than later.

Doesn't OtterBox make products for tablets?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
d3vi@nt

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »

I know some folks aren't fans of 'the cloud', but you might look into Google apps or Office 365.  The apps are all web-based and fully functional, so all you need is a browser on any device (Mac, PC, Chromebook, iPad, etc.). With cloud storage (Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive), files can be accessed remotely and you don't have to rely on your own hardware (just an Internet connection).

Just a thought...

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »

I know some folks aren't fans of 'the cloud', but you might look into Google apps or Office 365.  The apps are all web-based and fully functional, so all you need is a browser on any device (Mac, PC, Chromebook, iPad, etc.). With cloud storage (Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive), files can be accessed remotely and you don't have to rely on your own hardware (just an Internet connection).

Just a thought...

Not a bad thought. I'll add that into the mix.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:57:42 PM »

My shop lappys have always been cheap units.
Figuring that they are likely to die of blunt force trauma or poisoning sooner rather than later.

Doesn't OtterBox make products for tablets?
Otterbox has stuff for all the popular stuff, I think. Their apple stuff is pretty good. They're not waterproof. The ipads Zip has drowned attest to that fact. bang head

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

caperix

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »

I use a program called es file explorer to share to a network drive from my phone and tablet.  I have not tried it with spreadsheets but it may be worth looking into.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »

Kev, what sbout the Windows whatchsmacallit?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 04:17:06 AM »

Kev, what sbout the Windows whatchsmacallit?

Too specific. Please vague that up for me.

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 09:59:46 AM »

Too specific. Please vague that up for me.
The Surface I think it is . . .

Sorry bout linked ad, but, I meant this one

https://www.brandsmartusa.com/microsoft+surface/225123/10+pentium+gold+8gb+ram+128gb+storage+microsoft+surface+go.htm
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:51:30 AM by DarkMonster620 » Logged

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: