Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:28:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5-6 neutral  (Read 1056 times)
arta302

« on: April 09, 2019, 12:21:15 PM »

My 2018 797 Monster has 831 miles and I seem to find neutral when shifting from 5 to 6. Not every time. In a 3 hour ride made once or twice at most. If this have been covered I missed it. My first Ducati and will not be my last! I have been riding for about 50 years so I do not think it is rider error. It does change gears with the second try. Could it be that with brake in that will go away
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »

I hate to say it, but it's likely you're just not being 'positive' with your foot. It happens to me, on occasion, as well although not necessarily with my Monster. Cost me a top end on my SBK.

If it were me, I'd try adjusting the shifter down just a little, if it continues to be a problem.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »

The 5-6 gears are turning the nearest rpm, so any clash lasts longer, so more likely not to complete given the same input by the rider.

Just keep the pull on it until it goes in, the 'box just isn't slick enough to work reliably with a stab.

And as DP said, definitely give the mechanism/position a look and see if it can be improved.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
arta302

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 05:28:14 AM »

The 5-6 gears are turning the nearest rpm, so any clash lasts longer, so more likely not to complete given the same input by the rider.

Just keep the pull on it until it goes in, the 'box just isn't slick enough to work reliably with a stab.

And as DP said, definitely give the mechanism/position a look and see if it can be improved.
Thanks I will look at the adj approach.
chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »

Coming to my monster from a series of Hondas, this was the first thing I had to get used too. Being forceful with the gear lever, and gentle with the gas and breaks. Many false shifts and jerky starts the first week or so. Complete opposite of what I was used to. My old cb could be shifted with a thought, but you could hammer the throttle without consequence. Adjusting the shifter to the perfect spot helped me a ton.

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
silas

2V

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »

"they all do that, sir".   All my Ducks- 2 monsters and 4 '90's SS's have had the biggest accidental neutral betw. 4th and 5th gear.   I agree a more positive kick into gear helps.

My 2018 797 Monster has 831 miles and I seem to find neutral when shifting from 5 to 6. Not every time. In a 3 hour ride made once or twice at most. If this have been covered I missed it. My first Ducati and will not be my last! I have been riding for about 50 years so I do not think it is rider error. It does change gears with the second try. Could it be that with brake in that will go away

Ride fast, ride safe
'98 M900, '92 Yamaha TDM850
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: