Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: acceleration issues monster 796  (Read 1463 times)
Monster722

« on: March 30, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »

Hi guys,

Recently took my bike (‘14 796 ABS )out for a short ride few times ( approx 150km total). It has : DP ECU, DP air-filter and Arrow slip-ons installed.

When I accelerate in the 1 gear it runs pretty good, not as fast as I would imagine thought. This was kind of a disappointment for me. Nevertheless, when I change to 2 or 3 gear and full throttle, it makes a strange noise from the engine and just not making more than 6000-6500 revs, barely making to 75 mph top speed.
The sound it makes during acceleration is like a pan cover jumping from a steam. ( this is the best I can describe it, sorry)
I will try to make a video tomorrow.

Few days ago I had valve compression check. The top valve has compression 8.5 (the one right under the gas tank). Didn’t check the other one.

I have changed fuel filter today, the old one was full of dirt. The air barely pass through it. It makes bike run a bit faster, but didn’t sort out the main issue with acceleration.

Didn’t have a proper phone mount so I made this engine sound record.
This is the sound it makes during acceleration on 2-3 gear.
As soon as it hits 6000-7000 revs on 2-3 gear and make this strange sound.

0:00- 0:10 first gear
0:10 - 0:16 second gear
0:16 - 0:22 third gear

Please use the link below for the video. ( there is no picture because phone was in my pocket )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_v65i_WpUVae4lI3sb4AYztOpaV9WERN/view?usp=drivesdk

Made video today using phone mount. Ducati engine vibrations and iPhone image stabilizer don’t work together at all.

Anyways here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z6LW1znb-4xkzbHe8vqWusiih6gO8IRm/view?usp=drivesdk

0:05 change gear from 1 to 2
0:08 this sound when it hits 6000 revs

I have posted the same question in two other forums and get no response yet.

‘14 Monster 796 ABS
‘15 Monster 821
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »

Second video (with video) sounds like the air stream creates wind noise. Right? Just before the wind noise (?) there is an ugly mechanical noise....

If you have mechanical reasons for poor performance... usually not great news.

However: this is speculation based on a limited quality video/sound recording. It could just as easily be something completely different.

Do you have a dealer or known good mechanic you can ask? You're mixing up cylinder and valves. You're mixing up fuel and air filter. Don't trust yourself to diagnose and fix this. (I mean well)

waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Monster722

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »

Second video (with video) sounds like the air stream creates wind noise. Right? Just before the wind noise (?) there is an ugly mechanical noise....

If you have mechanical reasons for poor performance... usually not great news.

However: this is speculation based on a limited quality video/sound recording. It could just as easily be something completely different.

Do you have a dealer or known good mechanic you can ask? You're mixing up cylinder and valves. You're mixing up fuel and air filter. Don't trust yourself to diagnose and fix this. (I mean well)

waytogo

Yes, exactly. It really sounds like a mechanical reason.

Yes I did mix up the valve and cylinder🤦🏻‍♂️

When I wrote “air barely passes through fuel filter” i meant that it was full of dirt. Actually mechanic removed fuel tank and replaced with new fuel filter. It was inside fuel tank. He blows into the old fuel filter and air didn’t pass easily.

The problem is that mechanic doesn’t know the reason for this to happen. I post this question in few forums in hope to find the answer. I believe this may be something that some forum members had faced. I will bring the bike to mechanic tomorrow anyway to check what may be the cause.

My worst nightmare if this is the sound of valves touching pistons.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:48:10 PM by SS55 » Logged

‘14 Monster 796 ABS
‘15 Monster 821
greenmonster

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 07:46:18 AM »

If it revs fine in 1st-no valve/mechanical probs.
Sounds (first vid 8 secs) more ignition/electrical related IF fuel supply is now sorted.
Does it rev ok on the sidestand?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Monster722

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »

If it revs fine in 1st-no valve/mechanical probs.
Sounds (first vid 8 secs) more ignition/electrical related IF fuel supply is now sorted.
Does it rev ok on the sidestand?

Thanks for reply, it seems hopeful now ahah

It revs to the limit on the sidestand. I will change sprak plug and see if it makes any change.

Had no chance to visit mechanic today. Police took away my driving license today, for not having license plate🤦🏻‍♂️ I will try tomorrow again😄

‘14 Monster 796 ABS
‘15 Monster 821
Monster722

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 10:48:52 AM »

I went to to the garage and changed spark plugs. It makes no difference. I have attached pictures of old spark plug, the one located in the front of the bike.

Also attached video with revs on neutral gear. It hits the limit 8.5

Pictures below and here is the link for the vdieo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNs6oThQ7qTfIzY07SDbcPUZq0PM8zQL/view?usp=drivesdk

‘14 Monster 796 ABS
‘15 Monster 821
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:27:44 PM »

I had an issue with my other bike, my XR650... I had too much restriction in the air filter, it would get to higher RPM and just die like the gas was cut off, it was odd.  With your Arrow slipons, try pulling the baffles... my 796 has them, too, and there is a significant difference between the OEM baffles, my modified ones, and pulling them completely out.  If your bike doesnt run better with less restriction in the exhaust, i would start at the intake... barring a genuine mechanical problem.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: