Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:21:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to vent after yesterday  (Read 2283 times)
JonS2R

« on: March 30, 2019, 03:49:53 AM »

We finally got some warmer weather yesterday so I rode to work. It was cool enough to use my heated grips on the way in. Of course I then forget to them off. They're supposed to turn off automatically if voltage gets too low but they were still on long enough to kill my battery. Yeah shame on me for not using a relay. I tried jumping it with a coworkers car after work but couldn't get it going. I got a ride home and brought the battery with me to put on my tender. I got it up to about 12.2 volts then drove back to work to get the bike. Apparently in the process of putting it back in I managed to bump the quick disconnect for the fuel line. As soon as I turned it on, I got blasted in the leg with fuel from the pump priming. I push it back on and try starting the bike. The starter turns for a split second then nothing. I turn it off and back on again then once again I get blasted with fuel because the damn line popped off. Well damn. At this point it's dark so I say F it and start calling tow companies but, out of 8 companies, none were available that could tow a motorcycle.

So now I'm about to head back there in hopes that my bike is still in one piece. It's not a bad area but it's off a main road so who knows what kind of attention a bright red Ducati sitting under a street light will attract at night. At least I was smart enough to take pictures of it for insurance before I left.

I suppose I'll replace the quick releases while I'm at it. I believe they're original with 21k miles and I've read that the plastic can get brittle. It felt secure when I pushed it back on so I'm not sure how it popped off the second time.  bang head

2007 S2R 1000
Mhanis

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »

What a head ache Jon!

Keep us posted and let us know how things shake out.

Good luck!

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
JonS2R

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »

Thanks! I had it towed home safe and sound. After getting it under better lighting in the garage, I could see that the quick release would grab onto the neck of the fuel outlet tube and then pop back off on it's own.

My battery tender couldn't get the battery fully charged either. I'm not sure how old it is but I was looking at lithium batteries recently anyway so I think I'll get one.

2007 S2R 1000
GK

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:30:53 AM »

Glad your bike wasn’t molested.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »

+1 waytogo
If you get a Lithium battery get a LiFePO4 type like a Shorai battery. Don't skimp on that kind of technology. Sponsor Monsterparts has what you need.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
JonS2R

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 03:49:01 PM »

Glad your bike wasn’t molested.

Thanks me too! I slept terribly that night...talk about separation anxiety.

2007 S2R 1000
JonS2R

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »

+1 waytogo
If you get a Lithium battery get a LiFePO4 type like a Shorai battery. Don't skimp on that kind of technology. Sponsor Monsterparts has what you need.

Yes! I was already searching and reading that super long thread on here about them.

2007 S2R 1000
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »

Howd'you go with it?

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
JonS2R

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 11:38:10 AM »

Howd'you go with it?

I put the battery back on the tender and finally got it to charge after being connected most of the day so I'll keep running it for now. I did order an upgraded ground wire kit though. I had been meaning to do that anyway as every once in awhile it takes a few extra cranks to start up.

The disconnects didn't come in yet. I did at least get the tank pulled off. The "problem" disconnect has a crack in the ring where you squeeze it to release so that explains why it wouldn't stay on.

I'm due for a valve check anyway so I'm going to do that while the tank is off and I wait on the new disconnects. It's pollen time in North Carolina right now so it's good timing as I try not to ride much during these few weeks when the trees puke yellow pollen all over everything. It gets in every nook and cranny in the bike and is impossible to clean off.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:44:10 AM by JonS2R » Logged

2007 S2R 1000
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »

waytogo

I think my lungs would barely survive that time over there.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
cmross13

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 04:26:50 PM »

after owing several Ducatis, i always just assumed "buy a Ducati, buy a trailer". i have a small one. it was like $350 at Rural King and i can pull it with my 4cyl Tacoma without a hitch(ball bolted to the bumper). it has gotten me out of a tow bill when my fuel lines decided to dissolve inside my S4RS tank, it brought my project M900 back from NY, it even delivered a powered wheelchair to my moms house! if Motowheels doesn't get their head out of their ass, it will even take both my Monsters to FBF for tuning Wink i highly suggest buying or building one.

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
JonS2R

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 03:56:05 PM »

I'm happy to say the bike is back up and running. I spent about 7 hours working on it today although about 6.5 of that was doing the valve check. I have the clearances from the prior owner and they really didn't change too much and are all within spec. He checked it around 13k miles and I'm at almost 22k now.

after owing several Ducatis, i always just assumed "buy a Ducati, buy a trailer". i have a small one. it was like $350 at Rural King and i can pull it with my 4cyl Tacoma without a hitch(ball bolted to the bumper). it has gotten me out of a tow bill when my fuel lines decided to dissolve inside my S4RS tank, it brought my project M900 back from NY, it even delivered a powered wheelchair to my moms house! if Motowheels doesn't get their head out of their ass, it will even take both my Monsters to FBF for tuning Wink i highly suggest buying or building one.

Yeah I've been wanting to get one to at least start doing track days since VIR is a couple hours from me. I have a GS300 so I need to figure out if I can put a hitch on it.

2007 S2R 1000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: