Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 12:32:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twin Vs single cable throttles  (Read 699 times)
buzzer

« on: March 24, 2019, 11:07:59 PM »

I have noticed some bikes have a twin cable throttle  trist grip setup and some have a single....

Seen both on carbs and injection...

Why use a twin cable?   I know it offers a positive means of closing the throttle but is it really needed?

Interested in the debate!

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:40:35 AM »

I have converted dual cable throttles to single cable on most of my own bikes over the years, but never a customer's bike.  Cool  I find any butterfly carb or throttle body works well with with a single cable and sufficient spring pressure if the design allows for it. That's the catch. I have even run modern roller actuated slide carbs with a single cable, but don't recommend it. Certain mods enable FCRs to run on a single cable and not jam but you have to know what's involved or the cables can jam in the throttle assembly. Shocked  This is a greater risk than the carb bodies jamming due to their roller supported slide design.
Amal alloy bodied carbs that have alloy slides that run directly against each other with wear can jam. Worn VM carbs or sloppy Delortos could jam too but there are proprietary fixes I would not advocate publicly for liability reasons.
I have dealt with plenty of badly adjusted dual cables that jammed or hung up. The dual cables were mandated in certain countries for safety reasons but are quite dangerous if not set up correctly. That goes for any set up. Some throttle assemblies rely on the return cable to be the return stop. A push/pull cable set up is lighter but not as crisp as a single cable set up and requires careful adjustment to not bind.
Butterfly carbs are slammed shut by intake vacuum but slide carbs can be held open at WOT by vacuum. I know this personally..

So my personal preference is a single cable if the design allows it or parts are available for a safe conversion. Aside from that I'm as risk averse as anyone else who works on other peoples bikes.
It is interesting how there are plenty of butterfly throttle bodies with single cable actuation. Note that this is less common on slide carbs for obvious reasons. But you knew all this ay?
The gigantic CV carbs on your Monstrada have throttle butterflies so it will be interesting to see what you do there.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:46:07 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
buzzer

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:30:27 AM »

thank, this is for the 1000DS motor with the Mikunis on, I want a bit faster throttle...

will give it a try with a single cable...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »

You buy that Quick action throttle? Mikuni have one which you could adapt. About 1/4 turn .

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »

thank, this is for the 1000DS motor with the Mikunis on, I want a bit faster throttle...

will give it a try with a single cable...

A fast throttle tube is available for the stock carb, it's a black plastic rather than the stock white tubing. It's raised cam gives a very fast action and replaces the stock tube. I ran one recently on my 750. Sometimes the return cable is the throttle stop in the unit and when removed will let the tube freewheel backwards, very annoying .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:43:08 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: