Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:32:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rattlesnakes  (Read 2202 times)
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« on: March 23, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

They discovered a couple under the house.  Wink

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 12:28:35 PM »

Not clicking  ByeBye

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »

There’s rattlesnake cakes, there’s fried rattlesnake, there’s grilled rattlesnake...   drool

The other, other other white meat.

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »

That's a whole lotta Nope Rope.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »

Shocked

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »

Just a few snakes...

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Stella

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:22:26 AM »

Not clicking  ByeBye

Same   Tongue

I know there are piles and piles of them hibernating in some of the open spaces I visit in the colder months.  Just this morning it was nice and warm and I wondered if any would be out of their dens warming up in the sun during our walk.  Fortunately didn't see or hear any.   

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 05:05:41 PM »

Stepped on more than a few rocks with these guys underneath back in the day.  Tongue

That's why the boots had 14" leather uppers...

triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 05:11:38 PM »

While we don't have a lot of buzzworms up here at high elevation, I've found my share in other places around Arizona. Mostly Arizona Blacks, which aren't highly aggressive, but will get your attention if you get too close. Like the time I was fumbling down a slot canyon and reached for a root to steady myself - which seemed a bad idea when it started to rattle. My hiking partner, an accomplished nature photographer & videographer, took lots of pictures and then asked me if I could step a bit closer to get him/her to rattle again while he shot some video. Well, who wouldn't say yes to such a polite request?  He got his video, and everyone went on their way, no worse for encounter.

The Mojave Greens I've seen have a reputation bad attitudes and a really nasty neurotoxin in their venom, but most of my encounters with them were when they were out in the open and apparently had just fed, so were in a generally forgiving mood.

The biggest rattler I've ever seen was in the Monongahela NF in West Virginia, a great big fat guy at around 3' who'd also just fed. Good thing, too, because the three people I was hiking with stepped right over him/her like a stick, with me at the back of the line noticing that something about that log was just a little hinky.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 06:09:50 PM »

I watched both videos and read all the posts.

This whole thread makes me uncomfortable.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »

The "good" thing about Rattlesnakes is that they will give you a warning. Water moccasins, Cottonmouths,...not so much

Lips Sealed

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 03:27:53 PM »

I've been told older rattlers will often dry strike if they're only feeling somewhat threatened. Young ones are too young to know to save the venom and they strike like crazy and get your boot all venom soaked.

From a guy that was a national park worker I met in a state park while he was rock climbing in his off hours.

He said these things would sun themselves on the cliff faces and pretty much ignore you while you climbed.

He said what really bothered him was spider webs and millions of spiders going nuts when he cleared the webs.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »

Not a rattlesnake, but hell yeaah.

https://apple.news/AnUeKpuvCTbqzKJ3Y5gOKUQ

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 04:06:26 AM »

Shocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: