Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:01:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with Oil  (Read 749 times)
HenryG63

« on: March 12, 2019, 11:06:57 AM »

So I am new to motorcycling in general, and just recently purchased a 2006 Ducati Monster 620. It was shipped with low oil, but I still was able to start it up and ride down my street. I admit to revving it whilst on low oil. The gauges showed low oil, and the oil temp also said "lo". I then changed the oil and filter. I used a KN Filter as a replacement filter, which I Understand voids the warranty Roll Eyes. For the oil, I used Castrol 1 Power 10W-40 oil, as prescribed by the owner's manual and other Ducati Monster forums. I believe I followed all the right steps as far as replacing the oil and filter (draining and such) until I actually refilled the oil. The youtube video I watched recommended 3 quarts of oil, and I blindly followed suit. When I took my bike off the stand, the oil level was way above the middle of the glass, completely covering the glass at that. I started it up and let it run on neutral for a little bit. I had to pick some things up from Lowe's, so I turned my bike off, and about 45 minutes later, returned, and took it out for a ride.

Remember how I said I am new to motorcycling? I made it to the end of my street, came to a stop, pulled the clutch in, but stalled as I tried to accelerate again. I wasn't able to get it moving after that and restarted the bike a few times, stalling out again and again, probably because I was starting it in first gear, however I did eventually put it in neutral then start from their. After about 5 attempts, I could no longer start the engine, and I could just here the solenoid spinning. I tried again and again, but it kept turning over. The red oil light came on again, and it said the oil temperature was "lo". I had to shamefully waddle my bike back down my street to my house, where I tried to diagnose the problem. I thought the engine might have flooded, but when I let it sit overnight, there was still no luck in the morning. Are the spark plugs in need of replacing? Do I need to drain the oil? Take it to a mechanic? I'd prefer to fix it myself, but I'll do what I gotta do to fix my bike. Please help, or let me know if this has happened to any of yall.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:59:44 AM »

Let's see if we can make it a little easier....  eliminating:

- low oil no problem until the red light comes on WHILE riding/engine running
- red light is supposed to light up when the key is turned. It's supposed to turn off when the bike starts
- gauges do not show low oil, only checked in the sight glass
- oil temp "Lo" not relevant
- K & N as good as any. Not a problem. Warranty? Bike is too old for that
- Castrol is ok. Motorcycle specific? Must be for the clutch not to slip
- three quarts is not a problem unless you're racing the bike
- stalling in gear or in neutral - not relevant

Solenoid isn't spinning. It clicks (or not). The starter spins if it doesn't 'catch'. If it 'catches' it turns the engine over.

Check/have checked the battery and maybe the solenoid + starter. Any shop or mechanic can do this. Very quick job 10 minutes. Go from there - with the mechanic and/or us 

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
HenryG63

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:16:43 PM »

Thank you so much this helps a lot. I'll do that.
Boris

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 04:27:45 AM »

And after you get the oil level to spec open your airbox and see if any oil got spit there from the crankcase. If it did just clean it up and next time read the manual.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: