Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:10:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Ducat Monster 696 has died twice while riding - Any Suggestions?  (Read 998 times)
Your Phantom

« on: March 08, 2019, 09:11:19 AM »

First post here guys, glad to join the community.

My 2009 Ducati Monster 696 has given me some problems. Due to my hectic schedule I haen't been able o address this issue with the attention it deserves until now. Hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction or if they've experienced a similar issue.

I took my 2009 Ducati Monster out for a ride a couple of years back. It was during the spring time and just coming out of winter in California so the weather was warm. I had driven about 25-30 miles. A buddy and I stopped for about 30 minutes to an hour at a biker bar in the area and started the journey home. After driving for about 5-10 minutes I noticed the growl of the engine was becoming weaker and hitting the throttle wasn't as responsive. I was getting less power. Then, a yellow light popped on my dashboard. (Check engine, not gas) My bike completely stalled our and died while I was riding it. Luckily, I was able to pull over safely. An error code popped up and for the life of me I can't remember it. -_- I believe it was 3000 or 3500? I recall it starting with a 3.

I figured the battery died and took the battery in to get tested. Dead. No sweat, figured it was due to sitting in my garage over winter. I replaced the battery, installed a trickle charger and had the bike plugged in following the incident. A few weeks later my coworkers anted me to ride the bike into work and I obliged. The 17 mile trip out there was fine. Coming home, however, the EXACT same scenario happened. With only a few miles to home. the engine started to diminish in power and responsiveness, the yellow light turned on, and my bike died while I was riding it. Towed it home, no error code this time. Same issue even with my bike plugged into the trickle charger since the first incident.

My bike has been siting since. I've drained the gasoline from the fuel tank so it doesn't go bad sitting. I'm not sure what the issue with my bike is. I'm trying to determine if this is something I can resolve on my own with some technical assistance online (Here with feedback, youtube videos, etc.) or if I'll need to sell out the cash and take it into Ducati for a diagnostic. I'm trying t be cost conscious so I'm open to exploring what can be done.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be and what I can do to verify and fix? Any help would be appreciated.
greenmonster

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »

And now it won`t start?

1. Check battery voltage. Below 12,0 V somethings wrong. Do a load test.
2. If it starts, check voltage over battery at 4-5000 RPM. Should read 13,5-14V. If under 13,
it is not charging, faulty reg/rec, battery drains slowly after some miles-bike stops.

Follow Howie`s, who will chime in soon, advice.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Your Phantom

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:53 PM »

And now it won`t start?

1. Check battery voltage. Below 12,0 V somethings wrong. Do a load test.
2. If it starts, check voltage over battery at 4-5000 RPM. Should read 13,5-14V. If under 13,
it is not charging, faulty reg/rec, battery drains slowly after some miles-bike stops.

Follow Howie`s, who will chime in soon, advice.

Thanks for the reply.
Correct, now it will not start at all. Nothing happens at all. Completely dead, even once I plugged the trickle charger back up in a attempt to give it more juice. I never bought a 3rd battery because I'm under the impression something is wrong with the bike, not the batteries. A brand new battery with a trickle charger set up shouldn't be dying like that but I'm no expert.

Do you think it would be best to get another battery and test it per your recommendation or try to replicate the issue again? I'm not sure how I can do it without taking it out and I'm not too keen on paying for another tow just for troubleshooting purposes ha.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 10:13:35 PM »

First thing you want to do is fully charge the battery and load test it load tested.  Yeah, I know, it is new but you want to rule that out.  Or you could do what I probably would which is just charge the battery and see if the bike starts.  Then make sure the have between 13.5 and 14.5 volts across the battery at about 3K RPM.

Get back to us with the results and we will try and help from there.

Or, since it runs for a while if you have a local shop you can trust...
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:20:45 PM »

Root cause possibly a melty regulator/rectifier plastic connector housing.  Follow the three yellow wires.

BK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: