Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 02:02:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matte Black Paint Issue ('07 M695)  (Read 757 times)
Red89

« on: March 07, 2019, 04:09:29 AM »

Hi, everyone.

This is my first post looking for some help. I'm sure it won't be my last... I tried searching but couldn't find anything comparable to my issue.

I'm trying to figure out how to correct the paint on my matte black fuel tank. It's on my 2007 M695.

These resemble scratches but are not indentations in the paint, more like bulges. They sit proud of the finish and can easily be felt when running your hand over them. The tank is otherwise not distorted or damaged, so I am reasonably sure it's not from dropping the bike, etc. Truth be told, I have no idea what it could be.

I was thinking of sanding it flush, but then I'm concerned that too coarse a grit would leave visible scratches and too fine would create more shine than intended.

Picture for clarity, I hope the resolution makes the issue clearly visible. Help / ideas / experiences much appreciated.  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:11:00 AM by Red89 » Logged

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 04:25:49 AM »

Anything you do, short of a complete refinish, will be just as visible as what you have.

That finish is not spot repair friendly.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Red89

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 04:58:21 AM »

Thank you for your reply! Bummer. I was worried that might be the case. Looks like I'll have to get it powder coated at some stage. Or stock up on paints and bravery.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 05:33:02 AM »

Keep in mind, that tank is plastic. Powder coating would have to be accomplished using a low temp UV cure powder, if possible at all.

That color is an enigma. It isn't a straight flat black, the Euro brands used at the factory aren't readily available here in the states, so color match is difficult. Plan on refinishing all the parts that are that color.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: