Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:53:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1181 times)
Red89

« on: March 06, 2019, 02:12:05 PM »

Hi, ladies and gents.

My name is Eddy and I'm a Londoner living in the Netherlands. The thing that keeps me from riding for 8 hours a day is being a community manager for a tech company. It seems I can't escape forums even in my down time...

I'm a new owner of a 2007 M695. This is my 4th bike in my 30 years (of being alive, not riding). I won't bore you guys to death with what I have owned but let's just say it was two big American cruisers (Yeah, that brand. Never again.) and a Gixxer. This is my first motorcycle in 4 years and it's good to be back in the saddle. I got my first bike at 21 just before the laws changed to limit young/new riders to smaller bikes. Before that, in my early teens, I used to ride dirt bikes with my friend whose parents had a lot of land (and even more ££££££).

I know mine is not the flashiest of Monsters but I love it. I took it for a test ride two weeks ago and picked it up yesterday after much time spent convincing my fiancee. I would have gone for a bigger one but believe me, it was already hard enough to convince her to allow me to spend what I did on this new (to me) bike. Police

I got a great deal, 3000 euros with 8300 miles on it! Tail already chopped, smaller mirrors and signals installed already, so very little fiddling needed!
I don't know if I can help others by answering questions as I'm new to the Ducati world but I look forward to seeing you guys on the boards.

All the best,

Eddy / Red89

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:14:40 PM by Red89 » Logged

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 02:43:54 PM »

Welome  Dolph

Simple, but quite capable bike. It does 0-60 in about 4 seconds vs about 3.5 for the latest greatest and MUCH more expensive bikes.

We'll talk brakes, suspension and other mods when/if the 'need' comes.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Red89

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 03:59:28 AM »

Thank you for the welcome!

I have already started looking at upgrading the rear shock. I'm around 5'9" at 198lbs - not who Ducati had in mind for this model, so I've heard. Mostly, I would like to sit a little higher up. I am waiting on some tools to adjust the suspension so will see how that improves riding. So far I have found braking to be quite good, though it can always be better. Most are concerned with getting their bikes to go faster, I'm more keen on being able to slow it down.

I'll trawl the boards and see what everyone else has done.

Agree with you on the simplicity of it, that was part of the appeal. Stylistically, I do much prefer the more "retro" look of the 695 versus, say, the 696.

Have a good one!

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 04:31:54 AM »

You can go fast on the stock suspension, but it's not as predictable/safe as on upgraded components. You'll know when you get there.

If you want to raise the seat height - use the adjuster rod and/or get a seat from an 800/1000. Not the preload. With progressive springs there is not enough to gain by preloading to get you anywhere...

My opinion is that the shock is less 'budget' than the fork. So, the rear will be fine with a proper spring - linear and for your weight / conditions / riding style. The fork will be noticeably better with springs and maybe havier oil.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: