Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati Monster 1200 oil leak  (Read 3825 times)
Aurora

« on: March 06, 2019, 03:44:57 AM »

Hey Guys!
To make a long story short. I Decided to change the oil my self. And that was the first mistake!
I ended upp stripping thi threads in the oilpan/crankhouse, im not sure if it was on the way down or up as i used a torque key set on 20 nm wich i never reaced. I got the tips from a ducati dealer to get a Heli coil. So i got a set with drill. threading tool and coils + tool to set them.

It felt like i went well. How ever 20nm and it still leaked from theplug with a new copper brick (gasket). so i pulled it about 1/2 turn mor and now it looks like its not leaking.. how ever. now it looks like its leaking in the "joint" just above the plug. Did i manage to warp the metal or something? Sad Is there a fix for this? can an experienced welder make it..not leaky? sorry for my bad enlgish and if i use the wrong words for stuff. Also i hope the link to the image works... New at this.

Link to picture: https://ibb.co/XXzzK18
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:27:35 AM »

A real test of the strength of the work will be draining the oil again to see how the helicoil holds.

From the picture, do you mean a new leak from the joint in the cases?

Give the area a clean and check for a leak from the highest point.

How did you clean up any metal shavings from the repair?

2015 Scrambler 800
Aurora

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:12:14 AM »

Hi!
after the repair i pured new oil, 4liters down the filling hole. with not plug in the bottom. then "filtered" the oil through a fine mesh. and repeated that 5 times.
I did also take out the plug. put a new copper washer on and screwed it back on. the helicoil seems to hold. i can screw in in all the way with my fingers and than use a torque wrench to secure it.

It actually seems like its a new leak in the joint between the cases....

Ive been in contact with a repairshop that is gonna take a look on in before i wreck it more than i already did, what was it Curt Cobain said? I hate my self and i want to die? Sad

The joint is a few milimeters higher up on the engine than the plug even tho its only 3milimeters apart. i gues physics makes it impossible for the oil to "climb" upp from the plug to the join if it actually is the plug leaking and not the actual joint... Is the casings made of "Cast Aluminium" that can be welded? or is it som other impossible to fix material? My Mind is giving me all the possible dissaster scenarios it can think of...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »

Can the oil climb when the bike is on the side stand?

2015 Scrambler 800
Aurora

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »

It shouldnt since the plug is the lower part when its on the side stand. unless its somekind of "capilary" works. but im not sure about the physics of motor oil...  Huh?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 10:13:51 AM »

Clean the area well with Brakleen, and spray with aerosol foot powder.

The source of the leak will become evident. I'm betting it's coming from the oil filter, and running down the cases.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Aurora

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »

Thats actually a good guess. The filter is screwed on by hand and finger strenght. Wipeing the casings clean with a rag doesnt show anny leakage but maybe the human eyes isnt sharp enough fot that. im gonna get me something lika brakleen och how close i can come in sweden but i guess annything made for cleaning breakparts will do?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 11:00:58 AM »

Thats actually a good guess. The filter is screwed on by hand and finger strenght. Wipeing the casings clean with a rag doesnt show anny leakage but maybe the human eyes isnt sharp enough fot that. im gonna get me something lika brakleen och how close i can come in sweden but i guess annything made for cleaning breakparts will do?

Yes, any aerosol solvent for cleaning brake parts is fine.

The oil filter on most models requires tightening to 14 lbs/ft, 18.98 nm. Not sure if the Evo cases are the same. Regardless, it needs to be wrench tightened.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Aurora

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 11:20:10 AM »

Gonna try and get time to ride by the garage tomorrow and have a look. cant find anny aerosol foot powder even online nearby. maybe normal babypowder and a cheap makeup brush will get it done?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »

Maybe if you dampen the cases with water, and fling the powder at the damp cases. Otherwise, I don't think it will stick.

perspective

Aurora

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 01:03:47 PM »

Ill go to the pharmacy tomorrow and ask for aerosol version then!

In theory. this hasnt happened (yet) if a heli coil springs loose an (God forbid!) shoots inside the oilpan instead of out of it, can it make anny damage or will it be safely styck there until the oilscreen gets removed next service?
Im thinking i should try and remove it and set a newone. its hard to get a picture but its almost like the head of the screw hits the pan with a slight angle rather than flat on. maybe that is why its leaking alittle at 20 nm torque...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »

The only way the plug can seat on the cases at an angle is if you drilled, or tapped, at an angle. A new helicoil won't fix it.

The way helicoils typically fail is coming out of the hole when you remove the fastener/plug.

Do yourself a favor and tighten your oil filter a half turn with a wrench...either the proper filter wrench if you have on, or a strap wrench if you don't.

Oil doesn't run uphill, and there's no reason the case joint should be leaking all of a sudden. If you still have a leak you can deal with it then. If it turns out it's the plug, perhaps a keensert will be the solution.

perspective

Aurora

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »

Found some "spray on dry shampoo" in the bathroom. GF wont miss that LOL, its not as thick as babypowder but it leaves a white dust.. and a female smell Wink
Aurora

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 01:57:27 PM »

Will do! Ill get back after tomorrows exercises! Thanks alot for the help!!
I Bougt an oilfilter tool for this precise filter size so im gonna use that tomorrow!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:02:20 PM by Aurora » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »

Found some "spray on dry shampoo" in the bathroom. GF wont miss that LOL, its not as thick as babypowder but it leaves a white dust.. and a female smell Wink
That will work. waytogo

perspective

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: