Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 08:43:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati 996 engine custom build  (Read 21094 times)
buzzer

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »

I was going to try to make a tank, but I really like the 996 one i have picked up cheap...  but its taking quite a bit of work to modify to fit over the carbs.  I have had to cut the bottom out and fabricate a new base.  some of the welding is done, and I thought it best to dye pen the joints as its easier to correct leak on the outside of a joint, rather than inside when its all welded up... good job i did as there were two leaks.  Dye penetration works amazingly well as you can see.

buzzer

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »

Finished the fabrication on the bottom of the tank, all pressure tested and no leaks!  I have had problems finding a fuel tap big enough...  most are 8 mm but the Honda carbs require 10mm pipe, they were a thirsty beast!  found one in the end...  but I wont be running a reserve.  Also made a couple of short bellmouths to fit under the pod filters.  they were made out of tube, and spun in the lathe to bell the ends out.  to do this you need to soften the alloy first by annealing it.  I have struggled with this in the past as you need to get the temperature right, but if you go too far, it suddenly melts into s a blob!  the answer is simple, a trick picked up from a mate...  scribble on the alloy with a sharpie pen...   heat until the pen marks disappear, and stop heating! then let it cool. it works a treat!

buzzer

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 09:39:37 AM »

sometimes you make stuff but are not sure…  this is an example.  I wanted the front of the bike to be clean looking…  so I made this speedometer using a cheap GPS module that will come on automatically when the ignition is on.  the holes are for some warning LED’s…  not sure if I will use it yet.  I am aware that technically its no legal to have a GPS speedo…  but…!!  Whats peoples opinions on the look?

Also been practising my alloy welding with my new TIG welder to make a battery box for under the tank.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 10:14:55 AM »

... oval instead of rectangular?  Cool

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

More tidy work.

Nice velocity stacks too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:41:11 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
buzzer

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 02:53:31 AM »

The exhausts are now fabricated, as is the seat, but I may shorten that a bit..  and I am undecided on the moto GP or the mega style of silencer, I guess I have plenty of time to decide. 

The seat was made out of insulation foam, and cut and sanded to shape, which is VERY easy to do.  its then covered with a few layers of glass mat and resin.  I also had the headlight brackets water jet cut, they came out really well!

No updates for a while as we are off on holiday for a few weeks!

buzzer

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »

I pondered how to make a coolant header tank…  ended up making one from scratch!  I love the TIG welder!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:00:04 AM by buzzer » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 09:53:56 AM »

Nice work on the header tank waytogo

I think the mega pipe is better, cleaner style.

2015 Scrambler 800
buzzer

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 12:49:52 AM »

Nice work on the header tank waytogo

I think the mega pipe is better, cleaner style.

Thanks!  yes, I am leaning towards the Mega...

Sometimes it the little details that give the greatest pleasure…  I needed some headlight brackets but they look terrible when you just crush the end in the vice… so I made this little tool to shape the ends.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 02:33:30 AM »

Another tidy touch. waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
buzzer

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 10:13:38 AM »

I have been on holiday for a few weeks, hence no updates...  Now as winter approaches I will be spending a bit more time in the garage!

For now, I have finished the GPS speedo, and think I will use it.  It worked well on test in the car, and the warning LEDs are very bright.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »

Damn easier to read at speed than the stock gauge . waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
buzzer

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 04:22:42 AM »

I sat for a long time in the garage, imagining how I could make the footrests.  I knew exactly where they should be as I want the riding position to be “just Right” like my other bike.  one important factor was some sort of rubber mounting.  the design proved to be difficult, and after mocking some up in plywood, I came to the conclusion it would actually be quite difficult.  In the end I have used the footrest assemblies off a Multistarada, which combine all the attributes I wanted, with the bonus they were an easy fit!  I have also braced the frame.  A considered decision…  so many of these bikes break their crankcases.  hopefully this will prevent that.

The throttle linkage is also now done…  The right throttle action can make the world of difference to how a bike rides. I bought a cheap twist grip and played around with different diameters until it felt right.  I will make a replacement now to the correct dimensions.

Sign the weather is getting cooler...  I have moved to the other side of the garage, near the radiators!

buzzer

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »

Made a couple of items in the last few days... first I have mounted the front mudguard, made some stays out of alloy tube, complete with formed ends to make them look better, and also less prone to cracking.

Also finished off the tank plate and mounted the ignition switch. this took a while as I panel beat it out of some alloy plate into a  compound curve. I made a tool to press the raised portion to add a little strength, and make it look a little better. I have mounted it with some  5mm anti vibration rubbers.  Of course all will need a polish, but that all comes after the mock up stage!

buzzer

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2019, 08:40:29 AM »

Took the frame in to my mates factory today to fully weld it… its easier on the big bench, and his gas is a 10th of the cost of my small bottle at home!  I noticed the cracks on the underside of the cross over frame tubes, both sides!  really glad that I braced it now. I don’t feel its the best designed frame…

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: