Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 05:49:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple ECU install with no clocks... is it posible?  (Read 998 times)
buzzer

« on: February 19, 2019, 12:31:48 AM »

I am posing this on here as you guys seem more technical than on other forums!  The question relates to a 2002 ST4s but I am asuming its the same setup as the Sr4 Monster?

I  want to remove the clocks on the ST4 but retain the ECU and hopefully simplify the wiring... 

Is this posible?   I know I can switch the imobiliser off but do i need to retain anything in the clocks?   

Any thoughts?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:30:05 AM »

I don't think, think being the operative word, that the gauges were married to the ecu during that vintage or that any other functions were integrated into the gauges, like the signals on the S2R/S4R.

I could be mistaken.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »

According to the mother ship. USA '02 ST4s has the appearance of non-integrated immo and dumb gauges.

Speedo is mechanical.
Tacho is electric, I would expect similar signal to other electric Ducati tachs, but YMMV.
Temp gauge is LCD, I think it's signal is from the same thermosensor as that era watercoolers have.

Immo is a seperate unit.
There is a seperate blinker relay.

So it looks like you can delete the OEM clocks and not lose ride-critical functions.

Given the time frame, *your* ST4s may be different form the USA model, best to get the matching wiring diagram to confirm.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
buzzer

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »

thanks guys...  it does have the red key if that makes a difference....
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:54:02 AM »

The red key means it has some sort of immobilizer.  Married to the gauges?   Easy way to find out.  Disconnect gauges and see if the bike starts.  If so, either they are not married or the ECU or the ECU has been flashed to kill the immobilizer.  Does not start?  Have the ECU flashed.
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »

in 2003 ducati introduced "ie" (fuel injection) & the red key to 803 monsters; I just saw a 2001 900Sie but don't know if that had a redkey; so gauges keys and ignition had chips and  transponder and immobilizer chip in the gauges; you can get the immobilizer turned off in the ECU with the right knowledge; impossible to do for most, but those with the equipment & knowledge. Let us know how you work that one out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:24:44 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: