Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 04:18:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 821 Starting Issue  (Read 2119 times)
bpayne07

2015 Monster 821

« on: January 30, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »

My battery on my 15 Monster 821 died recently and I purchased a new one from Amazon (one with good ratings) and it seems to have trouble starting my bike but so did the one before which is why I replaced it.  What could the problem be?
Buhgaboo

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »

Where are you located? What is your oils viscosity?....slow to crank or cranks excessively? Starts on first try or starts on second? Mileage?
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »

My first step would be confirming the battery is proper for your bike.  Amp hour rating?   Lead acid AGM?  Lithium Ion?   Cold cranking amps?  LIB?  LI FeP0 4?  Brand?  Then I would fully charged and have it load tested.  How did you confirm the old battery was bad?
bpayne07

2015 Monster 821

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 06:45:06 PM »

Thank you both for your response.  I am in Studio City CA.  I bought the bike 9 months ago from Ducati and havent had to change the oil yet so whatever they used.  The bike has 6200 miles on it.

The battery I purchased is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0131FZKW8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sent it to Ducati w/ the bike and they replaced it for me as well as levers and a few other things.  I keep it on a battery tender at all times.

When I try to start it, it never works on the first try so I either hold down the starter until it works (hopefully) or keep feathering the starter until it works (sometimes it takes a long time of doing that).

Thanks!!
bpayne07

2015 Monster 821

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:53:12 PM »

Also, the bike has the termignoni exhaust on it w/ a race map.
Buhgaboo

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:41:19 PM »

The battery you bought is junk....it's less than junk because you can't give it away... apologies that's a bit harsh...but it's 20% less CCA and 1/2 the cost..sure it fits but it is so far below spec that this has to be a large part of your problem...Studio City...yeah it's not the oil viscosity...however ....you added that it has termis with the race map.... disconnect the exhaust flap and all your problems will go away...and you can keep the battery...just don't expect quick starts when temps drop
bpayne07

2015 Monster 821

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »

Not harsh at all haha I need to know these things.  As far as that flap goes, what does it do and is it easy to remove?
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:05:04 PM »

Besides being below specs (you need a really good battery in that bike) you have no idea how long it has been sitting on the shelf.  Could be half dead on delivery.  If the battery drops below 9 volts while cranking the computer shuts down.  To insure reliability I would want to replace that battery anyway.  I suggest the same battery the bike came with: 
https://monsterparts.com/products/yuasa-maintenance-free-agm-battery
They come dry, you add the acid (easy, pre-measured, can't screw up) so battery life starts then.  You do want to fully charge it before starting.
bpayne07

2015 Monster 821

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 10:06:45 PM »

Thank you Howie!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 10:56:32 PM »

Your welcome.  If you still have starting problems post up and we'll do our best.
Buhgaboo

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 02:13:22 AM »

Not harsh at all haha I need to know these things.  As far as that flap goes, what does it do and is it easy to remove?
The flap makes it quiet at idle mostly, Euro 4 emission standard...I had all kinds of problems starting after the upmap was installed until I unhooked it...just release the cable at the midpipe and leave it be...the exhaust valve is sprung to naturally stay open
bpayne07

2015 Monster 821

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 05:47:56 PM »

Do you think you could show a photo of the mid-pipe cable to unplug?
Buhgaboo

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 06:03:51 PM »

I just removed the guard...disconnected it from the wound spring and tucked it to the side...then put the guard back on...cable is still attached to the mount...pics are from my backup engine and midpipe

bpayne07

2015 Monster 821

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:06:54 PM »

Perfect I will attempt tomorrow Thanks again!!
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »

I just removed the guard...disconnected it from the wound spring and tucked it to the side...then put the guard back on...cable is still attached to the mount...pics are from my backup engine and midpipe

ha ... Euro 4 standard; that's a new flap on the exhaust; another thingy to mess with ... what will they think of next.

Perfect I will attempt tomorrow Thanks again!!

ya let us know if and what makes it start better ...

.... all the world is yours.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: