Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 12:59:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble Starting 2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000  (Read 727 times)
jasonhman7@gmail.com

« on: January 26, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »

Hey Everyone!

Just bought a 07 Monster S2R 1000 on Craigslist. This is my first ever Ducati. The seller said that it would need to be put on a trickle charger and that it would start up fine. He drove it to the place we met and it all looked good to go.

It is now sitting in my garage because I cant get it to start. I put it on a 1.8 Amp charger overnight and it will not start.

I turn the key and lights come on, dash lights come on, etc. I press the start button and it hums/makes an electronic whirring sound, but does not turn over.

The previous owner said that it had only been driven about 150 miles since 2015 and the title backs that up. Could it be as simple as a bad battery? or a I looking at a more costly repair? I am comfortable doing my own work on the bike, I'd just prefer to get some direction from someone who knows Ducatis. The Nearest dealer is about 100 miles away and I don't have a trailer.

Thanks in advance!

- Jason
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 11:40:33 AM »

It could be a bad battery. Charge it and take it to AutoZone and have them load test it, and we'll go from there.

There's a video link in this thread that might help you out when you determine if the battery is any good... http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=76992.0

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

jasonhman7@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 12:17:59 PM »

I didn't look closely enough at the battery itself. Turns out it was completely dry. All the fluid had evaporated from inside the core. Replace the battery and the bike starts up like a dream. Thanks!
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »

It could be a bad battery. Charge it and take it to AutoZone and have them load test it, and we'll go from there.

There's a video link in this thread that might help you out when you determine if the battery is any good... http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=76992.0

lol yep bad battery;

as you found out;

but I'v found Ducati's and a lot of other "ei" machines are sensitive to having good battery and electrical connections

.... all the world is yours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: