Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 12:54:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2003 M1000Sie won’t start, kinda  (Read 4410 times)
Hunleysfriend

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 12:13:48 PM »

After removing the gas cap allen screws it came off problem free. I removed the 8 or so set screws to remove the fuel filler base. It's either stuck or I'm missing a screw. Is there a trick to taking this part off the tank to gain access to the fuel filter/pump?

Hunleysfriend

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »

Also I broke one of the 2 quick disconnects for the fuel lines under the tank. The part doesn’t show a part number but has CPC on it. I’ve looked up the company and found possible replacements but again it’s a part I can’t locate on a Ducati breakdown. Anybody ever replaced one of these?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »

After removing the gas cap allen screws it came off problem free. I removed the 8 or so set screws to remove the fuel filler base. It's either stuck or I'm missing a screw. Is there a trick to taking this part off the tank to gain access to the fuel filter/pump?

There certainly is.

Take a wooden hammer handle and insert it in the opening. Put one hand under the hammer head, and give it a sharp rap with the other. The cap bung will pop right out. To re-install, grease the o-ring and push the bung back in. Sometimes...usually...it needs a tap with a plastic hammer.

Make a donation to the forum for the info. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »

Also I broke one of the 2 quick disconnects for the fuel lines under the tank. The part doesn’t show a part number but has CPC on it. I’ve looked up the company and found possible replacements but again it’s a part I can’t locate on a Ducati breakdown. Anybody ever replaced one of these?

Someone added the quick disconnects.  Replace with metal.  Get extra O rings.
d3vi@nt

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 07:41:54 AM »

Lame shot in the dark, but if it's been sitting for a few months, did you check the airbox to make sure nobody took up residence?

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Hunleysfriend

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »

Air box is clear. Filter clean. Removed fuel filter and pump (thanks Ducpainter). Pickup screen is clean and intact. All fuel lines are in good shape. None appear to be deteriorating. Looks like someone’s been in here before. New, no name fuel filter NOT in its holder but easy to blow through. Fuel still found in both sides. The pickup screen wasn’t lying flat either. One side was folded up against the low fuel sensor. There is some kind of residue in the tank. Kinda like fine sand. Weird. The pump was a pita to remove and I suspect it’ll be worse going back in especially if I get the pickup screen to lie flat. After reassembly I’ll start going down the lines to the injectors themselves I guess.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »

Air box is clear. Filter clean. Removed fuel filter and pump (thanks Ducpainter). Pickup screen is clean and intact. All fuel lines are in good shape. None appear to be deteriorating. Looks like someone’s been in here before. New, no name fuel filter NOT in its holder but easy to blow through. Fuel still found in both sides. The pickup screen wasn’t lying flat either. One side was folded up against the low fuel sensor. There is some kind of residue in the tank. Kinda like fine sand. Weird. The pump was a pita to remove and I suspect it’ll be worse going back in especially if I get the pickup screen to lie flat. After reassembly I’ll start going down the lines to the injectors themselves I guess.
While you're in there replace the lines and filter. It makes no sense not to.

Put a little grease on the rubber isolator for the pump. Makes it easier to slide into the bracket.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Hunleysfriend

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »

Its been a while. Tank is ready to go back on. I've got two filler orings to be concerned about. One is a true oring and it's orientation is obvious. The other is a stepped affair that seems to have been glued to the tank at one time. It's loose now. Seems to have shrunk too. My new question is this; Should that sealing ring be affixed to the tank first? Has anybody else had this problem?

The other oring has been greased but does seem to need more coaxing than a hand push. A plastic mallet was suggested. Is the filler a pretty stout piece? Looks cast.

After reinstalling the tank, I'll check injector spray. After that I'm loading it up and heading to the dealer in Louisville.  bow down
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »

The green oring gets greased and, as you say it goes where it goes. The other ring goes on the tank plug, and can be a pain.

If the plug needs persuasion, a rubber hammer is the best choice.

It will be easier if you get replace both orings. The green one swells from fuel, and the black one shrinks from UV.

That said, it can be done.

perspective

Hunleysfriend

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »

Ducpainter I'm already in your debt mate. thanx.
New issue tho. My noid light reveals front fuel injector isn't receiving a signal. Thats the horizontal cyl.
Any ideas? I'm gonna do some research in the meanwhile.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »

Either wiring or the ECU.  Do a continuity test on the wiring.
Hunleysfriend

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »

So is it a direct line from ECU to injector? Is there a crank position, cam or other sensor that triggers the injector to fire? Has to be something unique to THAT cylinder. I gotta find a real schematic. Parts diagrams aren’t cutting it.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »

You used to be able to download the owners manual from ducati, which includes a wiring diagram. Looks like they dropped the older models when they updated their website, which bites.

Someone should kick Claudio in his skinny jeans nuts.

perspective

Hunleysfriend

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 06:25:19 PM »

Yeah it looks like Howie provided the link in a few different posts. Defunct. It exists elsewhere I’m sure. The search goes on.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 09:42:48 PM »

One sensor for both cylinders.  ECU operates injector.  Send me your email and I will try to send you a scan of my '04.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:45:22 PM by howie » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: