Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:25:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rizoma drag bars w/ riser for M821...  (Read 2553 times)
makoi

« on: January 20, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »

Hi, been considering installing Rizoma dragbar and riser on my monster 821...
I really like the aggressive look of it (as seen on Youtube)..

Any insights on its PROs and CONs? would really appreciate it...

Im mainly concerned on the controls, if it would mean huge adjustments on the cables and hoses....thanks
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 02:07:56 AM »

Ergonomic disaster  boo

Test: broom stick or similar - firm grip with both hands - hold in front of you for five minutes. Going to be fine? Of course not.

These things are made and sold because they look cool on youtube, but they don't work.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
makoi

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 02:41:57 AM »

Ergonomic disaster  boo

Test: broom stick or similar - firm grip with both hands - hold in front of you for five minutes. Going to be fine? Of course not.

These things are made and sold because they look cool on youtube, but they don't work.
point noted...thanks
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »

On the other hand... mods are always interesting. Not too expensive and with the potential of a little learning - for us and you. I'm quite sure the different angle of this bar won't create a problem. Height is similar too.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
makoi

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 10:25:30 PM »

My major concern for this mod is actually to save the tank in case of drop (i've already replaced my tank, which was dented when i accidentally dropped it while parking, newbie mistake)...

IMO with this mod, handlebar controls would be moved farther from the tank since it has a lesser sweep compared to the stock (keeping turning limits constant). In case i drop it again,which i hope not, my tank would be spared...

I think i can handle the aggressive stance.
Only thing holding me back are the hose/control cable issues, if any...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:44:34 PM by makoi » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:11:18 PM »

If you're young you'll be fine. waytogo I didn't start hurting with Supersport ergos til my mid forties. Some re routing of lines may be required to tidy up any slack.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:11:41 AM »

Well, ...
back in the early to mid 90s, a lot of bikes that were featured in Street Fighter magazine and Performance Bike's readers special, had "ergonomic disaster" drag bars on it. Actually not only they were ergonomically wrong, many of them were on the bikes like GSX-R 11 with Ray Jay f40 turbo with big SE single carb ... the whole package was sort of disaster.
Nevertheless, people loved them, I loved them. So, ... whether you are 16 or 60, at one point in your life, you'd have to do stupid things, I guess. Motorcycle mod project is not about pros and cons, right or wrong. It's all about whether you want to do it or not.

That said, your bike would totally suck at corners if you do drag bar mod.
Pretty much every corner you'd take in 2nd gear(or lower), you'd regret that you did the drag bar mod.
And, you won't be able to do u-turn (full lock turn) on that thing.

As for dropping the bike, stop worrying about the dimple on the tank. It's a motorcycle. That happens. Small dents and scratches are all part of the history of you and your bike.
The bikes with stone chips on the front fork bottom case, dimple on the tank, paint wearing off of the frame where your boots rub, are way cooler than the spotlessly clean garage queen with tons of exotic custom parts.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »

My old Monster came with black Rizoma drag bars, they had an angle back so were not dead straight.

Lower bars can help you load the front tyre for corner entry and assist you to keep your inside elbow down to help you lock down the front. With the inside elbow down it helps to prevent the front tyre unloading mid corner, thus keeping it "locked down". You can practice doing this in combination with weight transfer to each side or front and rear as needed helping to maximise grip on corner entry and exit. Clip ons or drag bars angled back a bit work even better.

You never stop learning.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:26:43 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
makoi

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:17:31 PM »

As for dropping the bike, stop worrying about the dimple on the tank. It's a motorcycle. That happens. Small dents and scratches are all part of the history of you and your bike.
The bikes with stone chips on the front fork bottom case, dimple on the tank, paint wearing off of the frame where your boots rub, are way cooler than the spotlessly clean garage queen with tons of exotic custom parts.

maybe in time...but now that im still a newbie, i want to keep my bike "showroom material" as much as possible  Grin...i think most of us felt this way at one point in our riding life...
JonS2R

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:11:26 PM »

My major concern for this mod is actually to save the tank in case of drop (i've already replaced my tank, which was dented when i accidentally dropped it while parking, newbie mistake)...

IMO with this mod, handlebar controls would be moved farther from the tank since it has a lesser sweep compared to the stock (keeping turning limits constant). In case i drop it again,which i hope not, my tank would be spared...

I think i can handle the aggressive stance.
Only thing holding me back are the hose/control cable issues, if any...

Why not just get frame sliders?

I think it's counterintuitive to install drag bars and risers. Why get bars with no rise and then put them on risers when you could get bars that have a rise in the first place?

2007 S2R 1000
makoi

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 11:00:48 PM »

Why not just get frame sliders?

I think it's counterintuitive to install drag bars and risers. Why get bars with no rise and then put them on risers when you could get bars that have a rise in the first place?
[/quote]

I've read somewhere that frame sliders wont do any good, maybe for sportsbikes it will. I know someone with sliders but still got dents on his tank when he dropped his bike due to the hand controls hitting the tank.

i dont mind the rise of the stock bars, im mainly keen on the sweep of the bars. Rizoma dragbars only have 10° sweep compared to stock which have 30° sweep.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=76461.0

Read the thread.

There are things you can do (to minimize the tip-over damage), but you can't protect your tank 100% of the time.

To OP,
I hate to say this, but
if you are thinking to do this mod in order to prevent tank getting another dent in the event of tip over,
you've got the priority wrong.

On the other hand, if you are going to do this because you like the style, that's perfectly fine.

The less pull back angle (sweep back angle) on the bar,
the less droop angle on the bar,
makes riding posture awkward.
You are making the chance of dropping the bike greater, in the tight turns, or on low traction situation, when you hit the decreasing radius corner, off camber turn, etc,... by mounting the drag bar at high position.
makoi

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 09:46:13 PM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=76461.0

Read the thread.

There are things you can do (to minimize the tip-over damage), but you can't protect your tank 100% of the time.

To OP,
I hate to say this, but
if you are thinking to do this mod in order to prevent tank getting another dent in the event of tip over,
you've got the priority wrong.

On the other hand, if you are going to do this because you like the style, that's perfectly fine.

The less pull back angle (sweep back angle) on the bar,
the less droop angle on the bar,
makes riding posture awkward.
You are making the chance of dropping the bike greater, in the tight turns, or on low traction situation, when you hit the decreasing radius corner, off camber turn, etc,... by mounting the drag bar at high position.

Thanks for the info sir. Duly noted and appreciated...
will be considering this...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: