Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 11:40:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 01 Monster starting prob (and dies randomly) kickstand or killswitch activating?  (Read 786 times)
Nords

« on: January 13, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »

So I've had this problem for like 8 years now, and am tired of dealing with it Sad

2001 Monster 600 with 24k miles or so (I've owned it since it had 4k miles), sometimes when I go to start the bike, lights come on, but the start button does nothing. I usually flip the kill switch back and forth a few times, drop the kickstand and put it up (old habit, I shorted and soldered the wires together long ago so it can run with the kickstand down), still usually nothing.   I twist the ignition from off to on a bunch of times in case that somehow helps "reset" whatever is keeping the bike from starting but that works maybe 20% of the time... So then I will usually put it in gear, get a running start and drop the clutch to turn over the engine a bit.  Sometimes this works, sometimes I do 10 clutch drops to no avail and give up for the day...  Whenever I turn the bike off, I never know if the engine has stopped in a "good way" or if it won't start even though its warm and ready to roar to life.  I literally feel like I am flipping a coin on if it will start normally or I have to mess with it (to the annoyance of my friends who have to wait for me to get the damn thing started).

It has also completely cut all engine power on the highway a few times, lights stay on but it seems the ignition cuts out as if I had hit the kill switch.  I can usually get it started again while I coast to a stop, or have to let it sit a minute while I try all the stupid "fixes" listed above, but it is never guaranteed to work... (though I've always made it home, sometimes after half hour of anger and disappointment trying to get it going again)

I don't even know where to begin to look for this gremlin... Kickstand short? kill switch acting up? do these bikes have some sort of top dead center sensor which won't allow it to start up unless its off a few degrees from TDC (I'm pulling that one outta my butt).  Please help me love and trust my bike again!

Thanks!
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »

I'm glad that after 11 years of being a member you've found a reason to post. waytogo

I believe you have a broken ground wire where the harness passes by the headstock.

Cut it open and tell us what you see.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:36:58 PM »

Since the problem is intermittent, you might want to try a new safety relay, nah, don't need it since you bypassed the switch.  Just bypass it.  It is the smaller relay under the seat.  Jump 87 and 30.
greenmonster

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »

Bad connection of fuses in fuse box can give similar faults.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Nords

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:40:14 AM »

I'm glad that after 11 years of being a member you've found a reason to post. waytogo

I believe you have a broken ground wire where the harness passes by the headstock.

Cut it open and tell us what you see.

Ha, thanks Smiley  I have lurked here for advice and whatnot over the years, never got around to posting (I'm on way too many forums as it is).  I will give this, and the other advice about fuses a look when I have time this week and let you guys know if I find/solve the problem.

Thanks again for giving me places to start looking, I had no clue where to start.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: