Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 03:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renthal Fat Bar Street Lows s2r 1000  (Read 1642 times)
Jruwducati

« on: December 18, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »

I’m looking to switch my bars out to a set of renthal fat bars. The stock Maguras are beautiful but they are just too low of a rise for me. I have a set of 1.25” risers that look horrible IMO but it does raise them up to a comfortable position. The rise of the renthal Street lows are 80mm. Does anyone know the rise of the stock Maguras? I’m hoping they will be an easy install with no longer cables needed. Has anybody done a swap similar to this?
Jruwducati

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »

Or any other bars that are higher rise? I’d love them to be renthal or pro taper to go with the scrambler-esque vibe I’m trying to pull off.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »

I'm guessing the OEM Maguras are 20-25mm

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:19:18 AM »

With 80mm rise handle bar, you will need longer brake line, throttle cable, and clutch line. (And electrical wires.)

With Pro Taper, even with the lowest rise model (which would be Carmichael bend, 40mm rise), the same story.
(because the hand controls will be placed further out.)

The real problem with OEM Magura handle bar is not just the height. Not enough sweep back angle and droop angle are the cause of the awkward position, not just the height.

This is one example that works.

That's the Triumph speed triple's handle bar right next to stock S4R bar.

It is also made by Magura.

Direct swap (other than drilling the holes for controls), don't have to change cables, brake & clutch lines.

See the difference in sweep back angle of the grips ? That's what makes big difference in rider comfort.

Now, here's the catch.

I like this bar, because, although it makes quite a bit difference, it looks like stock, no one would notice the bar has been swapped to Speed Triple's.
It doesn't change the way the bike looks.

I know I'm a minority here. I don't like "heavily customized" look. I want to retain as much "stock look" as possible.
So, it works for me, but if you are looking for something that's easily recognizable as aftermarket / custom parts, this isn't a good option.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:48:43 AM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
Jruwducati

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »

Hmm.. thanks for the input I like the look of those bars. I’m going to look into those. Thanks a lot.
Jruwducati

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »

Where would I find a set of those?
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 08:42:52 AM »

I too would like more info ie will the steering stops need adjustment, will it reduce turning radius/lock to lock arc, what models/years Triumphs that bar corresponds to, etc. Also what about the Rizomas with stock rise?

More comfort that just swapped in easily would be a welcome thing as I get on in the years.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »

what models/years Triumphs that bar corresponds to,
Where would I find a set of those?

The one that I have on my S4R (shown in the photo) is

Triumph part# T2090431 HANDLEBAR, TAPERED, ANODIZED
which is listed as 2008 - 2010 Speed Triple's handlebars.

You can order it from your local Triumph dealer with that part#.
Or, you can order it from Bikebandit.
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2008-triumph-speed-triple/o/m17670#sch570283

I too would like more info ie will the steering stops need adjustment, will it reduce turning radius/lock to lock arc,

An important thing that I forgot to mention.

I adjusted the lock stop, and this is how it looks like now.

The clearance between the tank and the switch box is just about 10mm in this photo.
You do lose a little bit of lock to lock steering arc.

In theory, it means bigger turning radius.
In reality, it makes full lock turn easier.

Not only because of the better / more comfortable to the wrists position.
It seems like a lot of people don't know, but, it actually is easier to to do the full-lock turn with the front end turned all the way to full lock position.
So, dedicated gymkhana bikes are modified differently depending on the model.

For example, stock WR250X 's lock to lock angle is 44°(from center to right / left).
Most of these bikes have reduced (around 35 - 38°) lock to lock steering angle.

On the other hand,bikes like GSX-R (lock to lock angle 27° in stock trim) ...

...usually have increased (to about 31 - 32°) angle. (Can't go any further.
Also, the rider in the photo / video is one of those people who insist to retain stock look
(clip-on bar & fairing), so his GSX-R has only a little bit more than stock lock to lock angle.
Look at the still photo of his full-lock turn.

In stock trim, Monster S4R's lock to lock angle is 27°. I would say mine is now 24 - 25°.
And it is A LOT easier to do the full lock turn, than before.
(Actually, it's not fair to compare the stock S4R and mine the way it is now. There are many things I have changed / modified over the years, to make it more fun to ride in the real world.)

Anyhow ...

you will loose a little bit of steering lock to lock angle.
Which means you will lose steering lock feature.

You can install the Speed Triple bar without adjusting the lock stop, but, then the handle bar switch box and the fuel tank gets awfully close, if you ever drop the bike, the tank will get nice dimple.
(Actually, even my set up is a little too close. The handle bar will flex more than you'd think when the bike goes down.)

I briefly had Suburban Machinery handle bar. And it didn't require any steering lock stop adjustment.
It will move your hand position to more comfortable angle, but, a little bit lower than stock position.

I like Speed Triple's handle bar better.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:56:10 AM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: