Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:55:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pretty Red Sprocket ;) where are though...  (Read 1855 times)
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« on: December 17, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »

Hey guys.

Its time, been time actually, to replace my chain. Embarrassing if some one saw me ride with this chain.

After reading several 2012, 2016 threads about sprockets, I am staying away from sprockets associated with Drive, RS7 or RS8 or even AFAM. I have and AFAM rear 37 tooth solid lol.

I plan on getting new front,rear and chain. The front I will keep at 15 teeth, the rear I believe either 41 or 42 do prefer 41 teeth.  Chain will match 525 and looking for durability and style, red.

I decided on 15/41 525 steel because I am mostly a street rider with occasional track days and my bike does not do well at low RPM (ei below 5k rpm when if first gear, under 30 mph)

The chain, I believe I will get an EK ZVK3 red, looks nice and has latest O ring technology. I need your help with the sprockets. I am surprised sprocket center sells those RS7 but o well, and others like REVZILLA, BIKEBANDIT, MOTOSUPERSPORT OR STG dont really offer many options for my Monster S4 2002 especially for the 525 chain.

I will buy the motion pro chain tool, the more robust version and though I dont think the other chain change tools are necessary, I will order them unless you guys suggest not to.

Brands wise:
I choose EK because it appears to have a good reputation and has the color chain I want. I would have gone with DID otherwise and then third RK

Sprockets, sprocketcenter has kits with JT, AFAM and RS7. Is JT a good reliable brand? AFAM I thought it was good too but then I saw it associated with "AFAM drive systems" which I believed made RS7 sprockets and I rather stay away from that. Renthal does not make stuff in 525 nor does Vortex.

What about SuperSprox? They do have 525 and red 41 or 42 rear sprocket? They have kits to order but dont offer EK chains but RK; think Supersprox and RK are same LOL..

thanks for the long read for simply getting a chain and sprocket jejeje

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »

The red chains look painted and that red paint doesn't match well, at all, with anodized red on a Supersprox

The tools are expensive. How often will you change a chain and will you ever save money vs letting a shop do it?

Choice of parts made simple: call Jeff at SPONSOR MonsterParts, or MotoWheels and let them guide you through this.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 02:57:02 PM »

Nothing wrong with AFAM.  Steel Superlites are about the weight of SuperSrox.  I agree with stopintime about the aesthetic part.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:12:48 PM by howie » Logged
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »

Agreed AFAM are great sprockets ..no issues all I ever use

As for the colored chains my son had one on his Kawi  ...never looked any good and faded quite quickly

Nothing like classic black and gold of D.I.D
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 03:38:52 PM »

LOL, yeah to much red and it will probably mismatch.
Better just choose one with red, either the chain or the sprocket.
I had forgotten about MONSTERPARTS, I have used them before.

MONSTERPARTS has sprockets from DRIVE SYSTEM which I imagine is the RS7 sprocket LOL.
I am certain the design is improved and does look nice.
Will write and talk to MONSTERPARTS tomorrow.

What do you guys use???

The red chains look painted and that red paint doesn't match well, at all, with anodized red on a Supersprox

The tools are expensive. How often will you change a chain and will you ever save money vs letting a shop do it?

Choice of parts made simple: call Jeff at SPONSOR MonsterParts, or MotoWheels and let them guide you through this.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 03:53:16 PM »

I use AFAM (Drive?) aluminum sprockets on their quick change carrier. Idiotic choice because of short sprocket life span, but I exercise my right to be an idiot (sometimes...)

DID ERV3 chain. Also meaningless. The second or third best DID is two thirds of the price and only two oz (or there about) lighter. However - it's gold and I'm still an idiot, so ...   Come to think about it - the other DID top choices are also gold. Oh well.

All bought at MonsterParts  waytogo

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:18:17 PM »

My old 750 had a DID with AFAM lite steel front and steel Superlight steel rear for over 28K miles when I last changed them.  They were still serviceable.  AFAIK, there were some problems with aluminum SuperLites on very powerful bikes.
Duck-EZ

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:58:14 AM »

DID ERV3 chain. Also meaningless. The second or third best DID is two thirds of the price and only two oz (or there about) lighter. However - it's gold and I'm still an idiot, so ...   Come to think about it - the other DID top choices are also gold. Oh well.
I have used DID ERV3 as part of Halloween costume went as a 80's MC/Rapper...gold chain right? I'd like to think I got my moneys worth  Grin Grin Grin

2006 Black N Tangy S2RS
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 01:59:57 AM »

I have used DID ERV3 as part of Halloween costume went as a 80's MC/Rapper...gold chain right? I'd like to think I got my moneys worth  Grin Grin Grin

(not real gold, you know)

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 02:15:28 AM »

EK red chain looks good, with black Stealth from Supersprox, on a red frame and/or tank.

I like EK chains. They are lighter because their side plates are holed for weight reduction.

As for the tool,
yes, buy Motion Pro PBR chain tool.
Comes with everything you will need (including an extra pin), comes with nice plastic storage case, and it works.

You are not going to save money by doing this by yourself.
But that's not the point.

Taking your bike to the shop and pay them to do the work is for accountants and merchants.
Getting your hands dirty and learn something from working on your own bike is for warriors and philosophers.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 03:07:32 AM »

applause Cheesy

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »

Nice info from you all!!

The powder coated  EK red chain, how is it holding up as far as the color goes?

Black and red do look nice.. congrats..

EK red chain looks good, with black Stealth from Supersprox, on a red frame and/or tank.

I like EK chains. They are lighter because their side plates are holed for weight reduction.

As for the tool,
yes, buy Motion Pro PBR chain tool.
Comes with everything you will need (including an extra pin), comes with nice plastic storage case, and it works.

You are not going to save money by doing this by yourself.
But that's not the point.

Taking your bike to the shop and pay them to do the work is for accountants and merchants.
Getting your hands dirty and learn something from working on your own bike is for warriors and philosophers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: