Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:57:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: side stand switch - help and suggestions needed!  (Read 1655 times)
buzzer

« on: December 08, 2018, 03:17:46 AM »

I am currently building a customised bike using and air cooled Multistrada as a basis...  I have converted it to carburettors and got rid of all the electronics, save for an Electronic ignition. its a back to basics retro sort of bike...

At the moment I am wiring it all up and want to retain the side-stand switch to prevent me riding off with it down.  Not sure how to do this...  the old setup meant that if I put it into gear with the side stand down, it cut out...  Not sure if I can do this easily given all the electronics have gone!

So the plan is to use one of the outputs on the Electronic ignition (pit lane / start limiter restriction option ) so that if the side stand is down, the revs are limited to say 2500RPM.  that would mean I could start it on the stand, but if I tried to ride off with it down, it would be limited to set revs...

I would welcome debate on this as a solution, or any other solutions you guys can think of.

here is the option in the configuration software...

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:55:01 AM »

If you can't find a 'normal' solution.... maybe just mount a signal light or the horn to the 'side stand down & in gear' combo?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:11:04 AM »

How about an auto retract stand like on the early Monsters?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 06:03:09 AM »

Pre computer post suicide stand (auto retract) monsters used a relay to power up the main relay.  You can see the factory wiring diagram here   http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do 

Look in the back pages of the owner's manual for a 2001 600 or 750.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 07:07:33 AM »

Early electronic setup would not let the bike run on the sidestand.
At all.
Totally sucks, worst solution ever.

If you:
Use the sidestand switch to supply V+ to a relay coil when the stand is *down*.
And use the clutch switch to ground that coil when the lever is *in*.
That will energize a relay.
Which could then cease supplying V+ to the ignition system as the contacts have just opened, for example.
<Fault check the above, see below!>

It is *very* important to keep in mind what the failure modes of the system do.

Friend's long ago KLR650 nearly got him squashed by a big rig at night on the freeway.
Because the sidestand switch failed, the system shut off all electrical power.
Same system on my same-era Yamaha got me on a city street, no drama thankfully.
Not a fan of that system at all.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 05:00:07 AM »

Forgot about the no run with the sidestand down part.  Yep, sucked big time. Imagine sitting on the bike while it warms up a bit.  Lasted about a week when I bought my bike.  A wire from the neutral light to the + wire to the relay with a diode to prevent juice back to the neutral light fixed that.  And since you have a clutch switch do use it.
ian48th

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »

One of the first changes I made to my bike was to get a plug-and-play replacement sidestand switch that allows the bike to run in neutral with the sidestand down, but still cuts the ignition if you put it in gear with the stand still down.  Not sure if those are still available or not - I think it was from Evoluzione, but I'd have to check.

I, too, had an old Yamaha that had the sidestand switch fail while riding, killing the ignition while cruising down a busy DC street.  Coulda been bad.

Any updates on the build?

2000 M900Sie
buzzer

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 02:05:12 AM »

One of the first changes I made to my bike was to get a plug-and-play replacement sidestand switch that allows the bike to run in neutral with the sidestand down, but still cuts the ignition if you put it in gear with the stand still down.  Not sure if those are still available or not - I think it was from Evoluzione, but I'd have to check.

I, too, had an old Yamaha that had the sidestand switch fail while riding, killing the ignition while cruising down a busy DC street.  Coulda been bad.

Any updates on the build?

I think this is the way I am going Ian...  a guy on another forum has suggested a wireing diagram to do this.

As for the build...  its slow at the moment, due to the holiday, but mostly because Mrs Buzzer slipped and fell, and broke two fingers on her right hand!  So I am doing a lot of things I wouldn't normally be required to do at the moment!
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 06:35:15 AM »

Try a search for ML's $1.49 sidestand fix on the old board.

IIRC we used a diode and fed the ECU a signal from the neutral light to trick it into thinking the stand was actually up. Bike ran with the stand down and clutch lever out but the engine would cut if you put it in gear with the stand down. Worked great.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: