Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 06:12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch Drum  (Read 971 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« on: December 06, 2018, 11:42:42 PM »

Noticed my Vee Two billet clutch drum has a loose base flange (the pressed on ring that supports the two plain steel plates at the base of the clutch pack). My concern is that the base will break off allowing the clutch pack to collapse. Is this repairable?

I ran a stock drum then tried out another Vee Two drum I bought from He Man years ago. The drum had a broken post, so I knocked off the opposite post with a percussion mallet and cleaned it up. I fitted TPO springs which were the stiffest spares I had and used shorter bolts to preload them.
Hasn't slipped yet but I'm curious as to the availability of even stiffer springs. Anyone know a supplier?
IMG_1599 by Tony Kokonis, on Flickr

Testing the bike with a mountain ride, I noticed the clutch is smoother and note that the tolerance fit of the drum spline to the plain plate teeth is closer than with the OEM drum. Clutch is noticeably quieter too while using the same basket and plates.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:12:52 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »

That base flange looks like it could slip off.  Is it steel?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »

I'd be proactive. Remove the sleeve and reinstall using Loctite 640.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-492147-Strength-Retainer-36-milliliter/dp/B0002KKTS6

I used that on some tractor lift arm bushings that were spinning in the top cover and the problem went away.

TDS... https://tdsna.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/062262D5231164B0882571870000D85C/$File/640-EN.pdf The product requires 250oC to be disassembled.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »

Thanks you blokes.
The material doesn't draw a magnet and doesn't ring when tapped with a screwdriver. If I get another alloy drum I would want a one piece unit machined from one block. The oem drums are the same but that's understandable being cush drive, multi piece components.

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: