Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:29:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 796 rear brakes  (Read 1551 times)
Ageslak210

« on: November 29, 2018, 06:06:26 AM »

Hey all, my name is Adam and I have a 2012 monster ABS. I lost all of my rear brake power, I took the bike to my local shop. They bled the brake and filled it again, but it won’t hold. They said to take it to Ducati. Before I take it there, can anyone help me out with some info? Maybe there’s a safety bulletin announcement or recall. I have heard that the brake line heats as a result of being near the exhaust, I have no confirmation however. Thank you!
Ihatecrashing

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:02:18 AM »

Hey there, I came to this forum because I was dealing with a similar problem with the rear brake but also had a really squishy front brake.  Someone posted a video of a technique to use syringes to “reverse bleed” for lack of better terms.  Basically forcing brake fluid from the caliper into the master cylinders.  I did that on my front brakes and I got a lot of bubbles and firmed up the lever. Repeated on the rear brake with the same result. 

There are people on here with much more experience than myself who can probably give better advice, but that technique helped me out.  I think part of it is that the lines to and from ABS unit have high spots that can trap air bubbles pretty easily.  Hope this helps!

-crashing

2013 796 ABS Black/Red
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »

No safety recall or bulletin I know of.

Anyway, a big mistake many mechanics make is facing up on your rear brake is you must remove the caliper and turn it upside down so the bleeder is facing up.  You will also need to place something (a piece of metal or wood) about the thickness of the rotor between the brake pads so the pistons don't push out too far.

No guarantee bleeding will help, but very much worth a try.

Recalls here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:40:37 AM »

Iirc, a member here noted an absence of bleed nipples on the banjo bolts connecting the lines to the ABS unit and fitted some to remove air from those high spots. Should be standard if the bike doesn't have them.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »

Iirc, a member here noted an absence of bleed nipples on the banjo bolts connecting the lines to the ABS unit and fitted some to remove air from those high spots. Should be standard if the bike doesn't have them.

Good point!
Ihatecrashing

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »

That is a fantastic idea, the lines to the ABS unit look like a prime location for air to get trapped.

2013 796 ABS Black/Red
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: